Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

Re: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

[quote=brian;386478]I was taking mine on the bus/skytrain all the time to get out to the range. I was using eberlestock backpack. No one batted an eye. I guess everybody thought it was an instrument or sporting equipment.
    [quote]

That's all it is; a tool.

IMO if we can't get over the fear of being legal and law abiding, how do we expect to change opinions and the way we're thought of???

Sometimes the easiest path of travel leads to a pit of quicksand. I try to challenge the thoughts of others and to be prepared to teach a few new ones, instead of trying to fly under the radar.

If I was really concerned about a rifle case being stolen in public, I'd handcuff it to my person... And they do make for great clubs if thwarting off an attack is in order.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

That's all it is; a tool.

IMO if we can't get over the fear of being legal and law abiding, how do we expect to change opinions and the way we're thought of???

Sometimes the easiest path of travel leads to a pit of quicksand. I try to challenge the thoughts of others and to be prepared to teach a few new ones, instead of trying to fly under the radar.

If I was really concerned about a rifle case being stolen in public, I'd handcuff it to my person... And they do make for great clubs if thwarting off an attack is in order.
    I think anyone would be afraid of a guns-drawn high-visibility take-down by the police. Do you honestly expect anything BUT that to happen if you are travelling on public transit with firearms obvsiouly on your person?

Do you think a big guns-drawn takedown on someone travelling on public transit with firearms is going to help our public opinion somehow?

Hey, if we can walk an airport with an obvious rifle case, why should one fear anything different on a city bus?

People tend to think of the worse possible outcome and get fixated on that. Don't forget; you can also be killed crossing the street.

I have actually taken my rifle shopping with a soft case over it because I didn't like leaving it in the Jeep. I have walked for blocks with it in this fashion also in "downtown" settings.... It's not like you're waving a gun around in a public school.

Never had a problem. I have had shop-keepers inquire though but they were understanding when I addressed my concerns with them and offered, if they'd like, to keep it behind the counter while I did my thing. Not once was I even refused entry.

If someone wishes to take an exception and call in the police, so be it - I really don't care. What moreso worries me is who all will be their to call FOWL, *if* the day comes that I'm unjustly arrested and my property is siezed?

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

if i were you i would phone the police yourself that way the wackos on the bus wont have to
    i thought i was wrong once then i realized i was just mistaken

Caller: I see a person waiting at a bus stop with what appears to be a cased rifle.
    911 operator: We'll send swat cause this sounds like a whack job.

I just don't see it happening.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

I've taken rifles on airplanes a few time. At the check in counter your required to open the case and prove that the firearm is disabled. The check in person hasn't a clue, but the folks in the line up behind me had real big eyes LOL
    No cops no issue, until they lost my luggage
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Good point abotu the airport. I've walked past plenty of RCMP officers with my rifle case in airports....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I think your all over thinking this. Just be discrete on public transport, try not to freak anybody out who isn't used to seeing rifles. I've had mine in front of many cops, transit cops, and others. I've even talked to people about what is exactly in my bag (as long as I don't think they are the freak out types) and it has all been fine. I've also had them on the ferries and in gun cases on the greyhound. Most people don't even know what a regular gun case looks like, those that do you usually don't have to worry about. If you talk to people and they see that you seem to be a decent guy, they may start to think twice about their preconcieved ideas about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I think your all over thinking this. Just be discrete on public transport, try not to freak anybody out who isn't used to seeing rifles. I've had mine in front of many cops, transit cops, and others. I've even talked to people about what is exactly in my bag (as long as I don't think they are the freak out types) and it has all been fine. I've also had them on the ferries and in gun cases on the greyhound. Most people don't even know what a regular gun case looks like, those that do you usually don't have to worry about. If you talk to people and they see that you seem to be a decent guy, they may start to think twice about their preconcieved ideas about guns.

You have carried firearms in the public realm and haven't been face-planted by 2 dozen cops with drawn weapons aimed at the back of your head????

Impossible....

All kidding aside, your post pretty much reflects what I have experienced. When conversation is accounted, I have had people ask if taking a rifle out for a walk was a legal activity. My reply is that indeed it is, as long as you comply with the laws governing it.

That normally leads into an insightful chin-wag for the person that I'm conversing with and I normally end up being late for wherever I'm headed.

But that's OK, as I'm a personable type of fella and don't mind meeting new people.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

Just a thought.....

This happened here in town a few years back...some gentleman was walking down 8th street with what some "concerned citizen" thought was a "weapon".......police responded with guns drawn...took the guy down in the middle of the street. That nice pic of him lying face down with cops all around him made the paper too.
    Well everyone involved was abit embarrassed I imagine when his evil looking black case was opened to expose the sinister pool cue

Seems he was heading down to the local pub for a game or two. There was talk of a lawsuit but never heard anymore of it.

Sad but true......take a firearm on public tranportation be prepared to be treated like a criminal when the inevitable happens.