Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

Re: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

Well you have yourself a shitty situation, I wouldnt feel comfortable taking my rifle on public transit in the big city. One person calls the police saying someone has a gun, 15 cops come guns drawn, you get cuffed at gun point and takes 5 hours to sort out. I sure take for granted having my car and being able to drive to the range. Good luck, hopefully you dont have any trouble, just hide it in a guitar case I would say would be best, dont use a regular rifle case, it draws attention, dont matter if its legal or not, like previously states, out of sight, out of mind!!

If you wish to hide it, there are plenty of snowboard cases that look inconspicuous and will easily hold a rifle.

Rememeber if it's unrestricted you don't need a locking case.

I've walked down a number of Vancouver streets with a rifle slung over my shoulder (short walk, not all over town) and never had an issue. People are very unobservant. I have slung a rifle (barrel down) over my shoulder and had a conversation wiht a woman hiker, it wasn't until I went to lave she said "Oh! you have ag un! Is it hunting season?"
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

5.11 also makes some nifty soft cases for rifles.... pretty low key
    h*tp://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Accessories/Gun-Cases/42-Double-Rifle-Case/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10900:10910/I/58754
    i am actually not at all worried if i have a rifle case with me in public... i dress nice and clean and even had some kid's piss off once because they figured i was an off duty police officer for some strange reason?!

just to let you know the burnaby range has been shutdown the closest is poco

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I travel from and to the Island many times a year, and I walk on rather than drive more so.
    I asked around BC Ferries, Chief Stewart's office onboard and the main office down town, about transporting non-restricted firearms onboard as a walk on passenger.

I was told by BC Ferries that as long as I was following the law/rules, PAL in good standing etc... that I could bring a rifle onboard, BUT only if it was not obvious of what it was.
    ie; in a guitar case or like Gatehouse's idea Snowboard case (cool), but not in a rifle case, it will cause issues with other passengers.

and if your driving on well that's simple, leave it locked up out of sight.

Just thought I'd add this bit of info for everyone.

I think 'ol Al Capone's boys had it all figured out: A stringed instrument case - and a violin case was preferred for their Tommy guns

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    I think 'ol Al Capone's boys had it all figured out: A stringed instrument case - and a violin case was preferred for their Tommy guns

Wolfman
    nah! thats old school woo'lfman , now the most politically correct way to pack your gun is buy one of those " 6 foot long sub sandwiches" hollow out the middle and hide your gun, and no one will pay much attention, except there may be someone else using the bus comming home from Wieght Watchers, then your screwed, lock and load!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Just put in a locked plastic or alum gun case just as if you were traveling on an airline get on the bus and fagetaboutit. I mean what's the problem here?

Yea... I get weird looks simply transporting my guns down to my vehicle parked in my underground... mind you if I'm at the range for the day.. with a long pelican hard case for my AI 223, 3 gun bags (for my 22lr, 308 sako and 1100 shotgun), handgun case, ammo box and cleaning kit... I look as though I'm about to start a small war
    Rick

Sako 85 Finnlight 308 with Leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56 Scope - 'BadByatch'

Remington 700 VSSF2 .223 with AI Stock, Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 and modded AI 308 to 223 clip

Remington 1100 Shotgun

Savage Mark II - BTVS .22 LR

H&K P30L 9mm with Streamlight TLR-2

http://FriendSite.com/rick

I was taking mine on the bus/skytrain all the time to get out to the range. I was using eberlestock backpack. No one batted an eye. I guess everybody thought it was an instrument or sporting equipment.

Before I started I was all over translinks website looking for a no firearms rule and found nothing. Never had a problem.