Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Check out this crossbow.

Re: Check out this crossbow.

I think that all bow hunting shoudl be done with a home made longbow.

No compounds allowed.

COmpounds make it unfair, as it is easier to kill with a compound than a longbow.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

i just switched this year to crossbow from compound and am quite happy with my decision. theres a pretty big difference between shooting a rifle at 2700 fps and nocking game down where it stands 250 yards away, and taking a deer at 25 yards with a pinpoint shot. nothing against the traditional bowhunters out there though. good on ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock
    Brotherjack: I would say that 99% of all crossrifle hunters are opportunist rifle hunters taking advantage of the hard work of real bowhunters. I have not seen any crossrifle shooters at one meeting lobbying for bow hunting seasons. We have been fighting for more bow season's for years, and now others feel this an easy way to extend their rifle season. I am not saying you are one of these fellows, but I am wondering why you choose this instead of a real bow. These "advances in technology" will soon ruin bow seasons for all of us. I can agree with handicapped persons hunting with a crossrifle but only in the GOS. One way to stop the buying of crossrifles two days before opening day is make bowhunter education mandatory. At least then we would have the comfort of knowing these newbies have a small idea of what they are dealing with.
    Oh come on now, tell us how you really feel....

A crossbow is a 'real bow', as far as I'm concerned, and as far as the BC government is concerned (is this a new thing? I was under the impression it had been this way for many years). I never saw where there was a requirement for me to join a club and lobby my government before I was somehow morally entitled to hunt in a legally open season using legally acceptable equipment.

Here are some things I can tell you from experience about a crossbow:

It doesn't shoot an arrow any farther or faster than a u-pull it.
    It doesn't shoot an arrow any more accurately than a u-pull it.
    It is no more effective at killing an animal than a u-pull-it.
    It is not any easier to learn to shoot than a tuned compound bow with good sights on it.
    It is a bow on the end of a stick with a trigger on it. Hence the name crossbow, as it is called in any country that speaks english.

I would 100% support requiring some sort of bowhunter training for any bow hunter - crossbow or otherwise. It would get at the roots of a real problem, which is people who don't know their equipment out in the bush.

Just for the record - I only personally know 3 crossbow hunters besides myself. But every one of them have put in many hours of practice getting very handy with their equipment, and every one of them is as ethical and decent a hunter as you'd ever want to know. Your attitude is an insult to them, and to me. But I won't hold it against ya.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Look at it from this point of view-I shoot a bow-but have missed a few deer[fortionately they were clean misses]and if I wanted to hunt in the archery season,I'd probably use a crossbow-simply because of their accuracy.No-I'm no ''die hard'' archery hunter, and an arguement could be made I should be prepared to put in the time practicing, but the fact is-I'm not thatdedicated, but at the same time,I won't use a weapon that I'm not proficient with-I don't mind killing and animal-but I sure hate wounding one

everyones entitled to the same quota of deer every year, wether it be from bow, crossbow or fifle. how you get it's your choice. brotherJ you sure sparked a heated debate!

There is nothing wrong with a good heated debait . But brotherjack an archery training course did you take a bad fall on your head laitly thats all we need is to take another course .

Quote Originally Posted by islandhunter
    brotherJ you sure sparked a heated debate!
    No kidding.... and I was just trying to share with everyone a little piece of engineering I thought was cool... oh well. I got pretty thick skin.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    But brotherjack an archery training course did you take a bad fall on your head laitly thats all we need is to take another course.
    I actually don't mind the whole course and/or challenge the test thing at all. I had to do it for the CORE, and firearms - the idea being keeping uneducated louts with guns out of the bush - why not for bow and crossbow on the same principal?

(uh-oh, the heated debate opens on another front... hehehe)...

Brother Jack. First off I have nothing against crossbows, I would love to see more come out for all the 3D shoots we have and they can shoot in the archery season as far as I am concerned. HOWEVER !!! there are some major differences between a crossbow and a compound bow
    1. You can't pre-load a compound bow !!
    2. Every compound bow I have ever seen has to be custom fit and tuned to the individual archer. I am 6'6" tall with a 31 1/2 " draw length. I know someone who is 5' 11" could not shoot my bow or me his but we could both go to an archery shop and buy the same crossbow and be shooting that day. We wouldn't have to wait for all the varying components to be tuned over the course of a lot of arrows being shot.

Once again I have nothing against crossbows.
    Good hunting Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I think that all bow hunting shoudl be done with a home made longbow.

No compounds allowed.

COmpounds make it unfair, as it is easier to kill with a compound than a longbow.
    Sweet