Thread: 5-14

5-14

Anyone hunted 5-14. I am heading up there the first week of November any hints on where to go would be great.
    Joel

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-14

What are you hunting for?

Moose? Deer? Bear? Grouse? Waterfowl?

I have adoe draw and hopefully get a buck. Also if there are any bear around there I still have a tag to fill.

Joel

The Fraser River Ranch on the West Fraser road is allowing a limited number of hunters onto their land to thin out the mule deer population. They are charging a tresspass fee I have been told but if you can get on there finding a doe should be as close to a sure thing as hunting can be. As the rut will be just starting there should also be a bunch of young bucks out making fools of themselves. While I don't personally agree with the "any-buck" season during the rut someone who is looking for meat rather than size should do OK.

How would I get in touch with the West Frasr Ranch or do I just show up there on game day? Where about is it? We are also looking for a cabin or lodge to stay in somewhere around that area is there anything reasonable?

Joel

They are located at the end of Salmon Road which is north of the Rudy Johnson Bridge on the West Fraser Road. Just look for the big signs along the road when you enter onto the ranch property. (It is a huge hunk of real-estate!)

There is a 1/4 mile ( 400 m) single projectile restriction along that portion of the West Fraser Road so if you do get permission to hunt there make sure you are at least that far off the road.

You should be able to find their number in the phone directory for Williams Lake. Look for Fraser River Ranching Ltd . I would NOT arrive on the ranch un-anounced as they carefully schedule the different groups of hunters.

The ranch is about 45 min from Williams Lake via the 100 Rd (Soda Crk Rd) or 1 hour south of Quesnel via the West Fraser. McLeese Lake is 30-40 min away but it is a bit of a road maze to get from here to there. If you do consider staying at McLeese Lake you have a choice of either the Oasis resort or the McLeese Lake resort for lodging.
    Last edited by Boo; 10-11-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks for the advice maybe i will see you out the first week of November?

Joel

Before you head up this way give me a shout. If you don't get a chance to hunt the ranch I may be able to point you in another direction via PM.