Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Oil

Question Gun Oil

Hey guys,

I am wondering what you guys use for gun oil. Having a couple of problems here and there when i come out of the salt marsh. I have tried a few kinds on my gun and so far it seems like seems like WD does a pretty good job. I just don't know if it would be better to use a "Gun Oil".

Thanks!

Longshot jr.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gun Oil

I use G96 and have for years. Very good stuff!! K

Years ago we had some CIL 190 .22 target rifles at the Quesnel R&G that were used in the youth target rifle program. These rifles were in constant use and were lubed with WD40. Eventually the rifles started to misfire so we sent them off to a gunsmith to have them serviced. He asked what we were using to lube them and of course we told him WD40. He told us to stop using it as it had gummed the actions up pretty good. He also told us to not use any teflon based lube as well. His recommendation was to use a light gun oil and use it sparingly, inside and out and to wipe off excess.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

The 'Hummer' Guest

Some time back I mentioned a similar need to an old fella who lived across the street and who also happened to have been a fisherman. Primarily here on the coast I wanted something I could wipe on for a little protection especially on the 10ga SxS I use for waterfoul, and something along the lines of what you want. A couple days later he brought me a few small containers of 'Ratfish oil'. Apparently he used to use it on a couple of firearms he had on his boat that were kept there for protection against Seals. It smells like Cod Liver Oil but it seems to work. I have some on a rag that I keep in a Zip-Loc bag just to wipe the gun down every once in a while. Granted, the last few years I haven't hunted Ducks or Geese much on the coast but previously I did and there aren't any rust pits on the 10ga.

[quote=longshot;384482]Hey guys,

I am wondering what you guys use for gun oil. Having a couple of problems here and there when i come out of the salt marsh. I have tried a few kinds on my gun and so far it seems like seems like WD does a pretty good job. I just don't know if it would be better to use a "Gun Oil".

Thanks!

Longshot,

I am assuming that you mean you are having some light surface rust problems on your gun. I had this problem a few years back and it did not seem to matter which oil I used, how quick I cleaned the gun, or even if I gave it a fresh water rinse when I got home. I tried oil after oil, and finely found this stuff called "FLUID FILM" it comes in a brown can with a red top, and the logo is in a red circle. It says the stuff is environmentally friendier, which usually means these things don't work as well as some seal killing poison. But it works great. It is the only oil I have found that actively repels salt water. I find if I give the gun a good coating it will stay it tip top shape. I use LPS1 in the action for a lighter oil that won't cause feed problems, but on all the exterior metal I use the other oil. If you can find this stuff buy a bunch because it is hard to come by. I hope this helps.
    My dinner ate my vegetables for me !

Jamie

I picked up the Remington Extreme Condition Shotgun. For the most part it works great but if left unattended too it will rust as well, just less. That being said the gun is getting a goo soaking of salt water every time I go out with the dog to the bay.

I've been using Remington Synthetic oil on my shot gun just a light coat and seems to work fin in all weather for the semi. Just keep a very light coat in the action.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

Gun oil and only gun oil for me. I found that WD40 can damage gun blueing.

[quote=Duck Buster;384505]
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    I had this problem a few years back and it did not seem to matter which oil I used, how quick I cleaned the gun, or even if I gave it a fresh water rinse when I got home. I tried oil after oil, and finely found this stuff called "FLUID FILM" it comes in a brown can with a red top, and the logo is in a red circle. It says the stuff is environmentally friendier, which usually means these things don't work as well as some seal killing poison. But it works great. It is the only oil I have found that actively repels salt water. I find if I give the gun a good coating it will stay it tip top shape. I use LPS1 in the action for a lighter oil that won't cause feed problems, but on all the exterior metal I use the other oil. If you can find this stuff buy a bunch because it is hard to come by. I hope this helps.
    Duck Buster,

Do you know if you can get this Fluid Film oil in Victoria? Where were you able to pick it up?

Thanks for the help guys!

Longshot jr.

x2 on the fluid film. bought mine at can. tire. as a side note keep wd-40 away from your action/breach.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I use G96 and have for years. Very good stuff!! K
    X5. Me and my 4 hunting buddies use 'weasel piss'. Even works in Alberta where it gets really cold.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....