Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: electric goose calls

Re: electric goose calls

My concern is the noise the damn things will make and how that will impact on the environment as a wildlands experience. Personally, I don't like being in the marsh near someone who is constantly on a duck call. When you get 2 or 3 sets (and, I would wager, even one)out in one area of the marsh using these things the noise will be absolutely rude and will, I guarantee it, totally ruin the experience for anyone who loves the marsh for what it is. It'll be worse than sitting in a closet with a smoker.

Mouth calls make noise, too.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Mouth calls make noise, too.
    This was his point, nothin worse than being stuck beside a guy that got a new call for christmas. Gatehouse may hunt geese if they allow ecallers is enough reason to not allow them. I think Bob hit the nail on the head! I'm done with this but I sure hope it don't get through. Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    This was his point, nothin worse than being stuck beside a guy that got a new call for christmas. Gatehouse may hunt geese if they allow ecallers is enough reason to not allow them. I think Bob hit the nail on the head! I'm done with this but I sure hope it don't get through. Kelly
    I thought you said we didn't have enough hunters out hunting geese? Or is that more hunters only on your terms?

If it's not a conservation concern, and it helps get people out hunting, I am all for it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I thought you said we didn't have enough hunters out hunting geese? Or is that more hunters only on your terms?

If it's not a conservation concern, and it helps get people out hunting, I am all for it.
    So if you're out hunting birds at the best spot in the marsh, or perhaps an easy to get to spot, and have your decoys and blind set up, I take it you'd be OK with some other outfit coming along and setting up 50 yds. from you? And maybe starting up a full day of hi-fi goose calling as well? After all, no conservation concern there and they might be discouraged and go home if they couldn't use that particular location. I direct this inquiry/comment not at the original issue of e-calls v. no e-calls but rather at the specious argument you use to prop up your view of that issue
    Last edited by branthunter; 12-27-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: unfair comment

]
    Quote Originally Posted by branthunter View Post
    So if you're out hunting birds at the best spot in the marsh, or perhaps an easy to get to spot, and have your decoys and blind set up, I take it you'd be OK with some other outfit coming along and setting up 50 yds. from you? And maybe starting up a full day of hi-fi goose calling as well? After all, no conservation concern there and they might be discouraged and go home if they couldn't use that particular location
    I'm not much of a waterfowl hunter, but I would think that setting up that close would be rude, no matter what sort of equipment was used?

. Do you care anything for the environment we play in or the esthetic qualities of our sport? I direct this inquiry/comment not at the original issue of e-calls v. no e-calls but rather at the specious argument you use to prop up your view of that issue
    Why not just stick to the issue instead of making up scenarios where someone might go home if they dopn't get thier perfect spot?

E-callers aren't any less "esthetic" than a mouth call, they both make noise, and both can be loud or quiet, depending on what you want to do.

Maybe autoloader or pump shotguns shouldn't be allowed. After all, they aren't as esthetic as a O/U or SXS, and they hold one extra shell. Probably sending the wrong message.

"I'm not much of a waterfowl hunter, but I would think that setting up that close would be rude, no matter what sort of equipment was used?"

That's my point. You can't use arguments of conservation and promotion of hunting to support behaviour that negatively impacts the experience that others around you are seek (ie. is rude). It has nothing to do with those two things, it's just an issue of behaving (I'm characterizing the use of calls as behaviour here) in a way compatible with the enjoyment of the place by others.

"Why not just stick to the issue instead of making up scenarios where someone might go home if they dopn't get thier perfect spot? "

Are not disputes often effectively addressed by the use interoggative simile and challenging comparison? You do appear to agree with me that rude behaviour cannot be justified by the argument you put forth in support of e-calls.

"E-callers aren't any less "esthetic" than a mouth call, they both make noise, and both can be loud or quiet, depending on what you want to do."
    It takes effort and talent to use a mouth call effectively. My fear is that once the button is pushed on an e-caller it will, by far too many, be left on as long as there is a goose visible above the horizon (and probably even when there isn't). Furthermore an e-call puts a whole symphony of goose noise in a place where by mouth call there is but one goose. Another horror that occurs to me is the situation where 3 sets in one area start to compete in volume with each other.I suspect that all this matters for nought in most, if not all, Canada goose hunt situations where the sets tend to be more widespread and limited by virtue of availability of terrain and ownership control of access. My concerns are arising more out of my situation of wavy hunts where we tend to be closer to each other by virtue of the limited area available and unlimited access---and the fact that we snow goose hunters in the marsh tend to hunt solo, or at most in pairs, so that the amount of noise we can make is limited (unlike Canada shoots, many of which appear to involve groups of shooters and callers). In fact most wavy hunters , like myself, use mouth and throat to call without the aide of any artificial call, a method that is even less intrusive than Mr. Olt's implements. Maybe a set of Regulations governing locale of use, duration of on time, appropriate times to push the on button, etc. might solve the problem . (I trust you see my tongue in my cheek as a say that) .

"Maybe autoloader or pump shotguns shouldn't be allowed. After all, they aren't as esthetic as a O/U or SXS, and they hold one extra shell. Probably sending the wrong message.[/QUOTE]"
    Why not stick to the issue etc. . This isn't an issue of what one uses to hunt or how one uses it ( altho as intimated above that latter could be an issue if in fact the things do come in), but rather one of how the method of hunting affects the experience of those in proximity to it.

And my apologies for the inquiry I edited out.

[quote=branthunter;384107
    That's my point. You can't use arguments of conservation and promotion of hunting to support behaviour that negatively impacts the experience that others around you are seek (ie. is rude). It has nothing to do with those two things, it's just an issue of behaving (I'm characterizing the use of calls as behaviour here) in a way compatible with the enjoyment of the place by others.

Are not disputes often effectively addressed by the use interoggative simile and challenging comparison? You do appear to agree with me that rude behaviour cannot be justified by the argument you put forth in support of e-calls.
    [/QUOTE]

Rude behaviour is not controlled by inanimate objects. A hunter with a mouth call can be just as rude or polite as a hunter with an e-caller.

"E-callers aren't any less "esthetic" than a mouth call, they both make noise, and both can be loud or quiet, depending on what you want to do."
    It takes effort and talent to use a mouth call effectively. My fear is that once the button is pushed on an e-caller it will, by far too many, be left on as long as there is a goose visible above the horizon (and probably even when there isn't). Furthermore an e-call puts a whole symphony of goose noise in a place where by mouth call there is but one goose. Another horror that occurs to me is the situation where 3 sets in one area start to compete in volume with each other.I suspect that all this matters for nought in most, if not all, Canada goose hunt situations where the sets tend to be more widespread and limited by virtue of availability of terrain and ownership control of access. My concerns are arising more out of my situation of wavy hunts where we tend to be closer to each other by virtue of the limited area available and unlimited access---and the fact that we snow goose hunters in the marsh tend to hunt solo, or at most in pairs, so that the amount of noise we can make is limited (unlike Canada shoots, many of which appear to involve groups of shooters and callers). In fact most wavy hunters , like myself, use mouth and throat to call without the aide of any artificial call, a method that is even less intrusive than Mr. Olt's implements. Maybe a set of Regulations governing locale of use, duration of on time, appropriate times to push the on button, etc. might solve the problem . (I trust you see my tongue in my cheek as a say that) .
    And it's quite possible that none of your fears materialize..Or the effects are limited. Or hunters learn to respect each other in crowded areas, just like most anglers fishing in crowded areas do. But some never will learn the respect, no matter what gear they use.

Why not stick to the issue etc. . This isn't an issue of what one uses to hunt or how one uses it ( altho as intimated above that latter could be an issue if in fact the things do come in), but rather one of how the method of hunting affects the experience of those in proximity to it.
    See above^^

If certain locations are so crowded that they need to limit the use of some calls, then maybe that's something to look at, but why not let others that aren't crowded use them?

But I thought there weren't enough hunters out there, anyway???

When I was hunting snows in Alberta last october, the guide used an electronic call. I don't know if it made a difference to our hunt (I doubt it) but I can tell you the sound was very annoying!!!
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Rude behaviour is not controlled by inanimate objects. A hunter with a mouth call can be just as rude or polite as a hunter with an e-caller.

And it's quite possible that none of your fears materialize..Or the effects are limited. Or hunters learn to respect each other in crowded areas, just like most anglers fishing in crowded areas do. But some never will learn the respect, no matter what gear they use.

See above^^

If certain locations are so crowded that they need to limit the use of some calls, then maybe that's something to look at, but why not let others that aren't crowded use them?

But I thought there weren't enough hunters out there, anyway???
    "I am sure I am like many hunters in saying that using an E caller will increase the chances that I may participate in a particular style of hunting."
    You obviously (and self admittedly) haven't spent much time in the marsh or you wouldn't be advocating something that would so desecrate it.
    And as to promoting hunting in the sense of getting new people into it that's not what I'm about. I'm happy to help new hunters learn the ropes but I have no desire to bring out the hordes.
    Any time there's somebody else in my marsh ( oh, and Kelly's too) but me and my hunt pal of the day, there's too many hunters-. Anyway......it's my marsh (and Kelly's) and we say no, so that's the end of it as far as out there goes. If you want to use e-calls in every chopped corn field in the valley feel free.
    Last edited by branthunter; 12-27-2008 at 08:12 PM.