Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: electric goose calls

Re: electric goose calls

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    bob, just so you know i talked to a number of local longtime snow goose hunters that told me they were in favour of the e caller for various reasons. i dont know who you talked to but ive had some phone calls about this that want to know why all the hub bub.i guess i should perhaps put in a resolution that there be no calling of any sort for the future as this noise will be on par with the noise of an ecaller,with 4 or 5 callers blowing calls ill bet its just as loud as an ecaller. i would like to know if its your opinion or do you have science to back up the comment thar ecaller will make it worse for new hunters,please explain what is wrong with shortening the learning curve by using an e caller,thx dale
    You took the words out of my mouth Gunner, when you said, "There are a few guys that want them,they could care less about the regulars who hunt there,and they'll say whatever it takes to get them in place" .Do you guys that are pushing this really think you’re fooling anybody with this guff about “shortening the learning curve” and “will bring out new hunters”?

Dale, what is good or bad about hunting, what makes the experience worse or better, is not science. It is how one feels about the experience and the place and the birds. It is the end result of how you fit into all of that. It is what we see around us, the feel of the wind in our face and the mud under our boots, the strain and rythm of push poling across the marsh, the rawness of decoy lines on the hands, the roar of the offshore surf on a stormy day, the rattle of tule and bullrush in the wind, the distant call of geese and the nearer sounds of an incoming juvenile snow goose as it sneaks in from your side or of the whistle of a passing pintail drake. (These latter things we are going to lose, or have significantly degraded, with e-calls blaring across the marsh.) It is all these and a thousand more small elements that come together to determine whether the hunting experience, for newcomer or old timer, is good or bad.

Making the transition from new hunter to experienced hunter isn't science. Science is research with as many variables as possible controlled and accounted for and a meticulous collection and analysis of data. A good hunt can be the coming together of years of experience in the use of the skills one has learned, the knowledge one has gained, and the equipment one has accumulated over many years to shoot 2 birds or 10. Or it can be the first trip into the marsh where no birds are shot and the neophyte goes over his waders in a ditch he didn't see and drops his gun in the mud but realizes, over the course of the day, the things he could have done differently to maybe get him under some birds. What was a good hunt for one won't have been good for another. All kinds of things can spoil a hunt, but there's not much one hunter can do to spoil it for another except by his immediate proximity, by moving around too much, or by making too much noise.The guys who set up too close to an existing set come foremost to mind. When you turn on an e-call the noise will spread across the entire marsh and will be inescapable.

E-calls are not going to shorten the learning curve either, except maybe for some aspects of the calling itself---and actually they will probably add as many things to learn about using that kind of call as they eliminate about using the old kind. They are just going to be an unjustifiable, obnoxious form of noise pollution.

Will an e-call allow a beginner snow goose hunter to shoot more geese ? Maybe sometimes. It is true that the things are effective on the prairies but how effective will a recording of 2000 geese be over 40-50 decoys? I suspect not much. Is that worth polluting the marsh with this noise to find out? No. I’ve only raised this with a couple of the experienced guys around here but we all agreed that calling is one of the lesser skills of the sport and that most snow geese are shot without ever having been called. Calling of any kind is still only going to be effective when you add it to all the other skills and knowledge needed..... what wind to hunt, where to be for any given wind, what tide to hunt, where to be for any given tide, the role of interaction between wind and tide, what times are best, how all these change as the season progresses, how to hide, where to set up in relation to your decoys, how to set decoys, what the birds were doing yesterday, how to travel in the marsh, how to deal with sudden storms, whether to call, how to call, when to call, when to sit up for the shot, etc. It takes a long time to absorb and you will never be able to truncate this process. No snow goose hunting course will turn out accomplished and successful snow goose hunters who can routinely bag out. Neither will using an e-call.

Will the availability of e-calls by itself bring new hunters into the marsh? I doubt that too. And how do you encourage new hunters to get into the sport by adding $5-700.00 to the cost of an already expensive pursuit? In any case I would think what we want in the marsh are people who are attracted to it by what it is, not by playing with an electronic call.

Our marshes are a special gift we’ve got here, that should be treasured, respected, and preserved. It amazes and disillusions me that there are people who care so little about the marsh that they would be in favour of something like this. The only possible valid support, in my view, for using e-calls and putting up with their noise pollution is if the biologists convince us that they have been shown to have the capacity to bring about a significant population reduction that will result in the elimination of the overpopulation problem and in fact are an essential part of the solution. The article I cited from the Journal of Wildlife Management concluded that although e-calls had the effect of increasing the harvest, that increase would not be sufficient to bring about the desired elimination of the overpopulation problem.

I’m done with any more of this here. I guess all I can say in the end is that I’ll never use them here nor will I ever hunt with anyone who does.

You guys are still talking about this?
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I think you just wrote the perfect post bob...couldn't agree more. but i don't think this Ecaller thing will pan out to be as big of a deal as everyone else is making it out to be. Sure, some people will go out and buy them, but i still think the young guys who we are all trying so hard to get into hunting will not want to spend that kind of money on an Ecaller after buying all the other essential gear a newbie must buy to get into the game. And some land owners may get pissed at the noise pollution from the callers and tell people that Ecallers are not allowed on their property. Who knows...

how many snow geese can one person use in one year anyway. the people who are for this, it seems to be a numbers game anyway not the hole marsh, field, or even hunting experience. they just want bragging rights shot 50 snows in 2 hours with the e caller. if they want to lower the snow goose population why don't you get them to pass it at the convention to allow the use of bait or live decoys like they used 50 years ago. I think that no new hunters will be encouraged to take up snow goose hunting first. snow geese are on westham island which is private ( you need a pass to hunt there) or west of 41b street all of which private property. so you need a boat or punt if motor. even if you have this stuff 3-5 dozen decoys 500-800 dollars. and now a 500-700 ecaller. I think this proposal is motavatited buy a hand full of people, and not the numbers dale is talking about

50 birds. Bait. Live decoys. Where can I sign up?

Noise pollution? I would rather listen to canned calls than some sky busting jerks with party horns.

If it was up to me the limit for Canadas would be 10 and ecallers allowed.

The numbers game is what waterfowling is all about. If I can't shoot my limit in a couple of hours than I should have scouted more.
    Hooked on quack.

If the sound of the caller is so concerning, while your at it why don't you guys debate the personal choice of the guy who uses a 3.5" or 3" shell which has a louder report than a 2.75!

That's the best post I've read Bob, well said!!! K

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNHookSports View Post
    50 birds. Bait. Live decoys. Where can I sign up?

Noise pollution? I would rather listen to canned calls than some sky busting jerks with party horns.

If it was up to me the limit for Canadas would be 10 and ecallers allowed.

The numbers game is what waterfowling is all about. If I can't shoot my limit in a couple of hours than I should have scouted more.
    I'm done with this topic too,unfortunately I've just found out that after 45 years of waterfowling I've been approaching it the wrong way."The numbers game is what waterfowling is all about".Really?I think you just defined what kind of hunter you are with one sentence.You or anyone who thinks like you would most certainly not want to hunt birds with me or people who think like me.We think there's a little more to it than that.Have fun shooting your limits,I guess it's a bad day if you don't tub out eh! Gunner

"or think like me"... my way of hunting is right and anything else is wrong?
    Hooked on quack.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNHookSports View Post
    "or think like me"... my way of hunting is right and anything else is wrong?
    Not wrong(I don't recall saying that!),just different....I shoot enough birds to keep me happy! Gunner