Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anchor point?

Re: Anchor point?

the methods mentioned above are simply starting points ... the anchor point the shop gave you is typically the "texttbook anser ...

a proper anchor point is one you replicate comfortably over and over agian.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

maybe post up a picture of yourself at full draw. that can help alot too. alot of the time its pretty easy to tell if ones draw length is too long just by looking at them at full draw.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Hi guys. I was shooting a compound with a loop. My arms are pretty long but my bow arm was fully straight when i was trying the 30 inch. We even ended up making my trigger shorter but then i couldn't squeeze the trigger . I was so stretched out if i turned my head i tended to lose some draw length . I wasn't about to argue with the guy as he's the pro and i know virtually nothing about proper form.
    I went into the shop initially to buy a release and to get my bow adjusted to the 28.5 draw but that all went south .
    Thanks for the pointers. I will try to find a release in Kelowna and start over.

You might want to try a kisser for the anchor point too. When I shot a compound that worked great for me...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bow Walker Guest

Consider the picture below. Consider the dotted lines. Consider the "T" that his posture makes. Look at the knuckle of his release hand. See where it is placed? Right in the soft spot just under the ear and just behind the jawbone. That is the 'sweet spot' for your anchor.

Emulate his posture, his anchor, his relaxed bow-arm shoulder, his relaxed and slightly crooked bow arm. See how the nock-end of the arrow is right below his eye?

That is an example of proper anchor, proper stance, and proper draw length.

Another example - comfortable stance, upright posture, head erect (not leaning into the peep), and arrow nock end below the eye.

The picture below is of an example of having the draw length just a bit too long (an inch to be exact). Notice the head leaning into the peep? Notice the nock end of the arrow is past the eye? See that the total body posture is leaning backwards slightly?

Everything else is OK - the bow arm shoulder is relaxed, the release hand/arm is in line properly but the draw length is just a bit too long, throwing off the entire posture/stance/form. Shooting like this will give you sore neck and lead to a sore back as well.

If your draw length is too long you cannot shoot properly or with any consistency. It all starts with the little things.

As has been said a few times here, the correct anchor point is what you feel comfortable with. More important then what part you choose as anchor point is that the anchor point is consistently exact same spot.

On the image below, one of many that I use for illustration on my bowhunting courses and seminars, you can see what the most common used anchor point for release shooters roughly looks like.

My anchor point is with the knuckle of my forefinger directly on the root of the ear where it attached to the head. The fingers follow the jawbone line with the forefinger resting relaxed on the release trigger. I found that this position gave me the most reliable and constant anchor point. For lack of a better word I call this the double anchor point: Knuckle rest in the crevice behind the ear and forefinger on the jawbone line.

Choose an anchor point that is not likely to move. For example, some archers releasing the string with the fingers choose the corner of their mouth as anchor point. This is not a very good place, because the corner of the mouth is often unnoticeably (instinctively) moved depending on mood and stress factor. Some archers choose the lower jawbone or the cheekbone as anchor point. The more stable (unmovable) the anchor point is the better the chances are that you can replicate the same position each time.

Hope this helps.

"Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Excellent info guys. Just what i was looking for. Very much appreciated.

As mentioned , there is nothing the matter with a kisser button as another anchor point reference. Especially with a new shooter. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Bow Walker Guest

Zedex - get someone to take a pic of you at full draw. Post it up and it'll be a whole lot easier to help you.

didnt i ask him to do that already???? hehehehehe

all good info guys......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club