Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

My sister-in-law poached her boneless turkey in an olive oil bath, wow was it good and juicy!
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Brined our 3 birds this year for the first time and cooked on our Pellet Grill/smoker. The best turkey bar far!

I am no Julia Childs, but this deserves to be back at the top on a day when many will be doing battle with a turkey. I’ve relied on this brining process in past years and am doing so again. A gift that keeps on giving in my estimation. Merry Christmas, and may your turkey be succulent and delicious. B

Been doing this for the last few years now.

Cut up the bird, brine it overnight and then into the smoker for four hours on Christmas day. Then 20 min or so under the broiler to crisp up the skin.

Was -20C here today, so put the smoker in the greenhouse out of the wind and turned on the exhaust fan.

And four hours later:

Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

That time of year to give this a bump.

Going to go the beer can route on a smaller turkey .. can’t be too much different than doing it up the chicken way : )

yuo gonna brine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Do you want the juiciest turkey ever? You should brine it. I started brining turkeys a number of years ago, and never looked back. I have written out the instructions lots of times, but never seem to save them, so nowdays I just copy it from the Food Network site. It's virtually identical to what I do, although his insrucitons are more precise- I just poke at the thing and say "yup, it's ready"

I make the stuffing in a pan on the side- It's easy to do and if you use some good chicken stock nobody will know it's never seen the inside of a turkey!

Anyway, if you want the juiciest turkey for Christmas, forget the old recipes of stuffing, cooking all day and whatever else grandma used to do...Use the brine!

How to Brine and Roast a Turkey

Yield: 12

Try brining for the best tasting, juiciest holiday turkey ever! It?s a centuries old trick that the pros use. Best of all it?s very simple and it really works. Brining encourages the tightly wound proteins in meat to uncoil, bump into each other and form a web of sorts that sets with the heat of the oven and traps moisture.

Ingredients:

• See Directions (below) for Ingredients as they vary depending on size of bird

Directions:

1. You will need an accurate meat thermometer to gauge exactly when the meat is done. Don’t rely on the pop-up thermometers; they are calibrated so high that they guarantee dried out meat!
    2. For a standard 12 to 25 pound turkey you will need 2 pounds of salt, ideally sea salt and 2 cups of brown sugar. You will also need a clean picnic cooler large enough to hold the turkey when completely submerged in water.
    3. Place the turkey, salt and sugar in the bucket. Cover with 4 gallons of cold water and submerge the turkey upside down. Turn the turkey a few times to mix the salt and sugar. Place the bucket in a cold place for four hours for a smaller turkey and as much as six hours for a larger one, no more no less. If necessary to keep the brine cold replace some of the water with a few bags of ice or even throw in some freezer packs.
    4. Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Let rest uncovered overnight in the refrigerator. This will drain any excess moisture and help dry out the skin so it will brown better.
    5. Rub the turkey with butter, ground pepper and your favourite herb or spice mix. Stuff the turkey with fresh herb sprigs, garlic cloves and large chopped pieces of carrot, celery and onion. Place breast side down on a clean well oiled roasting rack in a roasting pan. Add two cups of water to the pan.
    6. Place the turkey in a preheated 400° oven. Roast one hour then, without opening the oven, turn the heat down to 250° and continue roasting for two hours longer. For a 20 to 25 lb. turkey or larger roast for three more hours. If you have a convection oven only roast for 45 minutes first before turning down the oven heat, no other adjustments are needed.
    7. Flip the turkey breast side up and baste it thoroughly. Add two cups of water to the roasting pan. Turn the oven back up to 400° and continue roasting until the breast meat is exactly 165° and the thigh reads 170°. Baste and check the temperature every 15 minutes or so. This finishing heat will help brown the skin. Let the turkey rest covered with foil for 20 to 30 minutes before carving then serve immediately.
    Did I miss something , Do you start with a frozen turkey or fresh ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Frozen or fresh. You can do either way. If you start your brine when its frozen, it will thaw in the pail. No need to set in fridge. If you start with a fresh turkey, refrigerate. In both cases be sure to thoroughly rinse your bird, as salty flavour can be an issue if your making gravy. I usually soak them in a water bath for an hour or so.

lol is it scary i did this to a whitetails rear quarter.??? great instructions gate.