Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

I have been Brining for a few years as well. this year we actually pulled the bird out before it reached 165 and wrapped in foil and placed towels on top and let it sit for 1.5 hours. Carved the whole breast off of the bird before I smiced it across the grain...unreal, definetly another level up on just brineing the bird.Saw Jamie Oliver do this and it was money!
    Best bird ever.

Getbent

We brined one this year and it was pretty darn good. But - if you really, really want the juiciest turkey ever - deep fry that sucker!

http://www.turkeyfarmersofcanada.ca/...ey/deepFrying/
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

Just did another one of these , it has become tradition , thanks again C
    This is where a temp alarm pays for itself
    Last edited by boxhitch; 12-30-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Getbent View Post
    I have been Brining for a few years as well. this year we actually pulled the bird out before it reached 165 and wrapped in foil and placed towels on top and let it sit for 1.5 hours. Carved the whole breast off of the bird before I smiced it across the grain...unreal, definetly another level up on just brineing the bird.Saw Jamie Oliver do this and it was money!
    Best bird ever.

Getbent
    RESTING meat is never a mistake! People just don't know how important resting meat is. I didn't see Jamies' idea but it makes sense, as if you stop cooking and insulate a big bird it will keep rising internal temperature until a certain point, and then go into "resting" mode. When it comes to meat, it's all about the resting, folks!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Just did another one of these , it has become tradition , thanks again C
    This is where a temp alarm pays for itself
    Glad to hear! Gilmore mentioned that he brined his turkey this year and it was the best turkey he had ever had.

Nobody should have to endure dry turkey. It's a simple process that pays off big time!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    I saw this brining technique on At Home Chef or Chef at Home on the food network. It looked interesting, but we haven't tried it yet. My grandparents raise their own Turkeys at home and they are the juicest Turkey's ever. I wonder how they would taste brined? I have had smoked Turkey's too and they are mighty tastey.
    Sorry it took 4 years to reply, but we rise our own turkeys too. And we brine them!

Brined my bird for the first time this year on the advice of a friend. Was the juciest bird I have ever made - no way will I go back to the old method.

Also let it rest covered for an hour before carving.

I didn't do it breast side down as I didn't want to play around with flipping it once it was in the pan. Still came out great.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

AA note on resting- Sled92 and I grilled up a couple of tenderloins from his (first) deer this year. Hot BBQ, turn it down a bit, grill to perfection ad LET IT REST.

Wait 15 minutes keep it warm and I sliced it up. Looked like an effing food show loin. It couldn't have been more perfect, a bit of red in the middle and pink all the way through. MMM! MMM! MMM!!

Had we cooked it and chopped it up, it would have been grey on the outside, red in the middle and a whole lot of juices pouring out on the plate! YUCK! dry and bloody!

Quote Originally Posted by Getbent View Post
    Best bird ever.

Getbent
    This is how I do it too only I cut the wishbone out before I cook the bird and it allows you to remove the whole breast much easier,easy to do with a sharp paring knife.
    I actually saw it on an old Julia Child black and white cooking show.

Cross grain is where it's at when carving any meat.

While it is traditional to carve the turkey at the table, what I usually do is cut off the breasts and thighs and slice them up, then rearrange the turkey on a platter as if it were still whole. Sliced breasts, sliced thighs and wings and drumsticks positioned s the if the turkey was whole. It's less maintenance and everyone gets to grab their preferred piece.