Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Can I get mine to go in a freeze-dried meal??...... just in case I'm out backpacking on Thanksgiving??

Rams may be good at doing dishes but he sucks at making Mtn Blueberry Cheesecake...but it was the thought that counted.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Witht he water you put into the pan, the stuffing may get soggy. It will certianly be very salty. Also, you brined it to keep it moist- So why stuff it full of bread that will suck out moisture?

Those are my resoans, but I admit I've never tried to stuff a brined turkey. You never end up wiht enough stuffing if you just use wht fits in a turkey, anyway.

Making it on the side is easy. I cut up bacon into small bits, and fry untl crisp, add chopped onions and garliic and a whole bunch of fresh thyme and fry until softened, deglaze with white wine, melt in some butter, add bread and mix up, then add chicken stock until fairly moist. Then I scape it all into a pan and bake it covered for a bit.

I do variations like adding sausage or different herbs, too.

I stuff them all the time, stuffing is great from a brined bird. Just have your stuffing a little drier to start and no salt added.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    I stuff them all the time, stuffing is great from a brined bird. Just have your stuffing a little drier to start and no salt added.

Well, there you go..

I've never stuffed mine since I suspect that the water I put in the pan woudl make it gooey...Do whatever works for you!

Keep in mind I usually do about 10 turkeys at a time, so stuffing each one and retrieving stuffing etc isn't very efficient from my standpoint.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Anyone tried to BBQ a brined bird?
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024

My wife has been brining our turkeys for about 3 years now and they are definately moister. The point of not stuffing the cavity is to keep the cooking time short, and prevent drying out the bird. Defeats the purpose of brining. Myself, I think the bird and dressing both improve in flavour when cooked together.
    Use Enough Dog !!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoog View Post
    BBQ as in Low and Slow smoked?

I've done them on a spit.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I usually Inject and Deepfry em ... but will hafta try this method to ..

Thanx gate
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoog View Post
    Yes, chicken though not turkey. Brine and butterfly the bird then bbq it over indirect heat, flip it once starting with skin side down then over to skin side up if using a gas bbq charcoal heat requires skin side up then over to skin side down. This is one of my favorite meals to serve company.

Gatehouse,

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated, perhaps you are familiar with the periodical and they have been espousing brining poultry for years.

I have done turkeys this way and normally do chickens in a brine first prior to roasting but the November issue came out with a technique where the bird is basically quartered prior to going in the oven and then roasted high initially and then turned down for the balance of the cooking period.

I would be happy to recount more of the recipe as I would have to look it up but it might be on the web. Just let me know if you want more details.

Having the bird quartered really reduces the cooking time and I found it to be the most tender turkey I have done. I roasted one for US Thanksgiving as my son was home from college in the states.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

I have brined two turkeys and have found they are moister and more flaver full then unbrined !

I will be doing more this way