Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Brine is ready here! ��

Have been doing this since it was first posted(thanks Gates) It works so amazing. Utility grade becomes AA overnight.

Last year I did a small turkey on my BBQ using the rotisserie. My BBQ has one of those indirect burners at the back just below the lid. I stuffed it with various herbs, veggies, potatoes & skewered a lemon on the rod before sliding the bird on. Also put a tray with more potatoes underneath to catch the drippings. Don't recall if I did anything else to the bird other than perhaps a light salting of the outside. Alumimun foil on the wings to keep them from burning. Turned out fantasmagorical.

Not sure how I missed this thread all these years.
    I'm about a dozen birds deep now, between Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving over the years.
    I've always stuck with a bourbon and maple syrup brine that I borrowed from Steven Reichlan.

Nothing like a brined and smoked bird.
    And if you're willing to part with some leftover meat, smoked turkey soup is one of my favourites. Mirepoix and turkey carcass simmered for a couple hours, then strained. Add fresh carrots, celery and lastly cooked rice and leftover turkey meat with a smidgen of lemon juice and salt to taste. Pure deliciousness!

when cutting for spachcock we use the backs for soup and broth, they add up over a year as we like turkey better than chicken throughout
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

A good read on BBQing turkeys with lots of info https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...turkey-recipe/