Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Here’s a cider-brined turkey recipe that you can make in your Big Easy.

Get ready for this delectible treat.

At some point after man discovered fire and invented the wheel, he also discovered a technique for preparing meats that elevated cooking to a level of excitement that every hungry caveman could appreciate.

Brining – the act of dunking the meat in a salty bath of sodium and spices – has been responsible for words like “juicy” and “moist” finding their way into cookbooks for generations. And when you perform this loving act of enhancement with a turkey, you’ll thrill diners who won’t go back to eating sawdust turkey ever again.

Before you get started brining your bird, make sure you have a space large enough in your refrigerator to accommodate the turkey bathtub. You can also use a large cooler filled with ice.

Second, make sure you have enough time. Brining a large bird can take up to 24 hours. And, last — be sure to completely pat the turkey dry after it’s brined. Otherwise, you’ll never get a crispy skin on the bird.

Here’s a cider-brined favorite that will give you great results!

Cider-Brined Turkey

Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
    Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Yield: 6 servings
    Serving Size: 8 ounces

Brining gives a turkey incredible juiciness.

Ingredients

• 1 12-14 pound fresh turkey
    • For The Brine
    • 4 quarts fresh apple cider, divided
    • 1 1/2 cups coarse kosher salt
    • 1/4 cup whole allspice
    • 8 bay leaves
    • 4 quarts cold water

Instructions

• To brine:
    • Simmer 1 quart of apple cider, salt, allspice, and bay leaves in a large stockpot for 5 minutes.
    • Cool, and add remaining cider and the cold water.
    • Leave brine in the pot, or pour into a large food-safe container.
    • After removing the giblets, neck, add the turkey to the brine; refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
    • Day of Cooking:
    • One hour before cooking, remove turkey from the brine; rinse well with cold water; and pat dry with paper towels.
    • Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. If desired, cut the skin between the leg and the rib cage to improve heat penetration.
    • Loosely stuff any aromatics--onions, herbs--into the cavity of the turkey. Truss legs to keep aromatics inside the cavity during cooking.
    • Place the prepared turkey in the basket of your The Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer by Char-Broil, legs down, and centered as much as possible.
    • Place the basket into The Big Easy, and turn on the unit according to instructions.
    • Plan your cooking to approximately 10 minutes per pound of turkey.
    • Turkey is done when an instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180°F and 165°F in the breast.
    • Carefully remove turkey basket from the cooking chamber.
    • Place the turkey on a serving platter; tent with foil; and allow the bird to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before carving.

Last edited by Stormy; 11-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!

some real good looking brine recipes on here, will have to try a couple out. personally usually do some water,salt,pepper,brown sugar,bay leaves,sage,thyme.......amount of each, who knows, im a freestyle cook lol. Gotta say though, nothing beats a slow smoked turkey in my eyes, tried a few years ago, will never go back. usually throw er in the oven for about half hour at 400, into the bradley smoker, smoke for 3-4 hours, and then another 2 hoursish with no smoke, temp, running about 180-200, then back in the oven for 20-30 to crisp the skin back up a touch. usually done with about a 16-20lb bird, dont know how much bigger i could fit in my smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    So Gate! What would this brining recipe do for a domestic duck (Muscovy) or Goose??

Wondering...
    Nog
    I don't know, never tried. Waterfowl have lots of fat on them so might not need it. I've never brined one of our ducks.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Arrow Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I don't know, never tried. Waterfowl have lots of fat on them so might not need it. I've never brined one of our ducks.
    Hmmm... Thanks for getting back.

May have to try it just for the hell of it.
    Have a few on hand...

Letcha know if I do...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Get that turkey in the brine!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

First time briner,bird is in the oven!!

Completely forgot I was going to try this. Next time except I'll be using the Big Easy.

I did a apple cider brined Turkey this year and it turned out amazing. The whole family said it was the best Turkey ever. Next time I'm going to brine and try deep frying. I was to scared to try both methods at the same time in case it didn't work but I'm sure it will.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

x2 on apple cider brined turkey. Have been doing that for last 3-4 years and never looking back. I also add thyme, rosemary and sage to the brine. I normally thaw a frozen turkey and brine but this year brined a fresh turkey and this year was the best turkey ever.

Thumbs up Re: Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Tried brining a Muscovy Duck for Christmas Dinner.
    Worked Most Excellent!
    Succulent, tender & juicy!
    Better than expected, and will be trying again!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me