Quote Originally Posted by David Heitsman View Post
Gatehouse,

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated, perhaps you are familiar with the periodical and they have been espousing brining poultry for years.

I have done turkeys this way and normally do chickens in a brine first prior to roasting but the November issue came out with a technique where the bird is basically quartered prior to going in the oven and then roasted high initially and then turned down for the balance of the cooking period.

I would be happy to recount more of the recipe as I would have to look it up but it might be on the web. Just let me know if you want more details.

Having the bird quartered really reduces the cooking time and I found it to be the most tender turkey I have done. I roasted one for US Thanksgiving as my son was home from college in the states.
David, no, I dont' know Cooking Illustrae. I read some industry mags but most food mags are geared towards a house wife hosting a good dinner party, and not runing a restaurant (no offense intended!)

I have no doubt that quartering a bird will speed up cooking time- It makes sense, since the pieces are smaller. I'm not surprised the meat stays juicy, too, since a long cooking time can dry out meat (depending on what you do)

Too many people stuff thier turkey then put it in the oven at 10 AM to serve at 7PM

Ican't tell you the amount of times I've gone for dinner to places and they ask me to "check the turkey/roast/chicken/salmon etc because they are "not sure if it is done yet."

Almost 100% of the time, I am like "WHOA, it's done" and I think "it was done HOURS ago" but I dont' say that of course

Only exception was a pre wedding dinner I attended, the father of the gorrom had a whole salmon in foil on the BBQ, everyone was seated to eat, and he wanted me to check it. I did, sliding a thin knife into the foil and into the middle of the salmon, then withdrawing it and pressing the knife to my lip, old school heat testing style. It was stone cold.

I said "Give it an hour"

But he insisted it was ready, and peopel wanted to eat, so he removed it and started to cut it open. It was sushi, of course, and then said "I guess you were right"
ha ha...no kidding...

By all means, post the recipe, I'd liek to see what the method is. There are about 100 ways to cook a bird!