Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nanaimo River estuary?

Nanaimo River estuary?

Does anyone know if you can hunt the mouth of the Nanaimo river? I drove down Raines road through the I.R. and you come upon Ducks Unlimited signs and Habitat signs and "do not disturb the wildlife signs".....I recall somebody told me they used to hunt waterfowl down there years ago but I just wanted to know if anybody has some first hand knowledge of the area recently.

Peter

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Nanaimo River estuary?

You can hunt it, but just look out for the no shooting boundry signs. The boundries are also in the hunting regs.

Marc

I was talking to a fellow at Cabelas here in Nanaimo and told me that's where he hunts ducks. He showed me on Google map where to go. I am looking to head out there to scout it out and hopefully watch some people duck hunt. I haven't done it but to start.

Watch the ditches, I had a buddy have to climb out of his waders on a rising tide he was stuck and sinking.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

In the mid seventies an unnamed friend and I were hunting down there. A guy showed up with a large, noisy, remote controlled model airplane. As birds were inbound, this guy would flare them off with his plane. My friend didn't say anything .... he didn't have to, he calmly walked back towards the 'wing commander' ....
    You know the rest of the story. The plane was coming towards him. He up and shot a wing off, and as this annoyance was spiraling down, he finished it off with a second hit. Best shooting he'd ever done. The 'wing commander' walked back to his van and left. Never heard anything more about it.

As Jim mentions .... be aware of the tides in there, and the ditches and sinkholes.

[QUOTE=ACE;1953008]In the mid seventies an unnamed friend and I were hunting down there. A guy showed up with a large, noisy, remote controlled model airplane. As birds were inbound, this guy would flare them off with his plane. My friend didn't say anything .... he didn't have to, he calmly walked back towards the 'wing commander' ....
    You know the rest of the story. The plane was coming towards him. He up and shot a wing off, and as this annoyance was spiraling down, he finished it off with a second hit. Best shooting he'd ever done. The 'wing commander' walked back to his van and left. Never heard anything more about it.

LMFFAO ! Pefect Blasted that SOB's airplane out of the sky ! I would have loved to be there and did the shooting myself ! RJ

Besides the estuary is there any other places to hunt waterfowl in and around Nanaimo? I am going to head down to the estuary next set of days off. I wouldn't mind looking at any other spots I might be able to hunt.

Scout, scout and scout some more.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    I was talking to a fellow at Cabelas here in Nanaimo and told me that's where he hunts ducks. He showed me on Google map where to go. I am looking to head out there to scout it out and hopefully watch some people duck hunt. I haven't done it but to start.
    Where did he show you how to get into the estuary? I've always traveled further south to Cow bay but would prefer Nanaimo, just haven't figured out how to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by jvezina View Post
    Where did he show you how to get into the estuary? I've always traveled further south to Cow bay but would prefer Nanaimo, just haven't figured out how to get in.
    Go down Cedar rd go over the Cedar bridge then take your first left on Rains rd. Follow that rd to the end.