Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Tulameen?

Hunting in Tulameen?

I just got a nice weekend place in Tulameen and I'm wondering what kind of hunting there is around there. I've always been into the outdoors but never got around to getting my PAL until now and I hear Tulameen is a great spot. What game is good there, and what are some recommendations on suitable firearms for hunting them? I don't want to end up with a .22 for hunting deer and I can admit I don't know enough to necessarily make the right selection.

Can't wait to take possession NYE!

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in Tulameen?

Welcome to the site. If you get the keys NYE you should start learning the area right away. Just about all the big game in BC can be had in or near that area aside from Bison. And my favorite, plenty of bears!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Hey Lloyd,

Get a decent bolt action (most any brand is fine, really, some are better value than others for a beginner hunter) in something like a .308, .270, 30-06, or similar, put a decent variable scope on it (lower end 3-9 Leupold would be reliable, if not as nice optically as a more expensive scope), try a few brands of regular factory ammo in a middle-of-the-road bullet weight, pick the one that shoots the best (I seem to have good luck with winchester power-points and they are cheap and kill stuff just fine), and you should be good to go on anything you can hunt down there.

Muleys are probably the most abundant game animal down there, but there are also elk, black bears, a few moose, and a few whitetails, grouse, etc.

On second thought, buy a .22 as well to shoot grouse, and to shoot lots of paper, it's the cheapest way to practice. You can get an okay bolt action .22 for pretty cheap - Savage or Marlin comes to mind.

Have a look around on the web to get an idea of prices, but you shouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent set-up. And you can save some money by buying used, but unless you know what you're looking for you could end up with someone else's lemon.
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

I've seen LOTS of bears there and it's my personal favorite area in Southern BC. There is a larege range between Tulameen and the Coq that is really popular for hunting and also there are many good roads that branch off the Otter Lake FSR. The fishing is intense in that region too.

As far as guns, get yourself a decent 30-06 and your good to go. This calibre can take almost any North American big game.

Yup, the Tulameen area is a great area for hunting tho' you wouldn't know it from my lousy results this year. I was the only one on our street that didn't cut a tag.
    As said, lots of mule deer, some whitetails, tons of bear ( our dog treed a blackie @ 200 metres from our place there and we saw a small grizzly across the river ) cougar, bunnies, grouse, you name it. The area between the Coq. and Tulameen is very popular.
    Agree with a 30-06 which'll do for pretty well anything and a 22 or 20 guage for grouse and you're set to go.
    Head on up to the gun club to do some sighting in and practicing.
    Talk to Ron at the outdoor store in Princeton, he's a good guy and can offer a lot of good advice.
    In the winter you can hunt skaters on the rink.
    So, where in Tulameen did you buy?

Congrats on your new location in Tulameen. It is beautiful country and plenty of game there. You will find that the best time for hunting COUGAR will be Tulameen days next summer.....LOL....

Thumbs up Re: Hunting in Tulameen?

Welcome to this site ,If you can go out with some experienced hunter as much as you can ,you will pick up on lots of things by doing this..

Good luck next year with your hunting .

Hi, to resurrect an old thread : does someone know what the present day rules may be for target shooting in the area ?

Is Tulameen, usual provisos about Crown Land / safety, etc, an area where it is permitted or are there restrictions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Wilhelm View Post
    Hi, to resurrect an old thread : does someone know what the present day rules may be for target shooting in the area ?

Is Tulameen, usual provisos about Crown Land / safety, etc, an area where it is permitted or are there restrictions ?
    Rules are no different than most areas for crown land.
    Be aware that there are areas where there's cattle roaming in the bush.
    Choose your area carefully, ensure a decent "backstop", there's a lot of area around there for plinking.
    Drive up an FSR, you'll find lots of places to shoot, some impromptu "ranges" set up too.
    The Otter Valley Fish and Game Club has a nice range in Tulameen, buy a membership and be safe.

Just pack out what you pack in or us "locals" will be looking for you!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!