Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What you guys think?

What you guys think?

Went out scouting today. Too bad it was extremely pissy and I didn't get anything. But when I walked into a side road and found some woods looking quite good. I had a feeling this must be deer/bear favourite land. I did find some trails and hiked up through one of these trails. What do you guys think? Could this be a good spot that I can go back for?

Last edited by rollingrock; 10-01-2005 at 08:06 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: What you guys think?

Honestly dude, it looks good for blacktails or elk if on Van Island, but without you filling in the "where do you live" section in your profile, we are at a disadvantage.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

I'm in Lower Mainland. The pix were taken in Mission.

to maney leaves and not enogh deer. need snow, were you back by salsbury lake, if you were the road to the north end to blinch lake looks good with new logging slashes and lots of swampy areas.

Nice pictures but I'm thinking you'd have a tough time threading a bullet through there.

I tried to pop a yote in some wooded area just last Tuesday, the branch died the dog got away!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Shoot um .375, go through many trees before getting to animal!
    It does look a little twiggy for long shots. Deer like to walk through that stuff though.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Looks like it's really tough to get a blacktail buck in lower mainland. I guess it takes some time to be able to hunt my backyard well. Today's wind changes a lot. I spent one hour in there and decided to leave. But in October I think the deer are gonna move to other areas.

What sign did you see? Bear leave a lot of sign, ripped up logs and stumps when they are looking for termites, large craps, the area hold any salmon streams? How about late berries such as rosehips.

If bear are there you should be able see signs of their presence.

I have spent a little time in the mountains north of Mission and it is pretty rugged country, I would definitely look for spot where there had been a lot of activity and set my ass down wind.

KTK

hey you guys here is a little seceret. look for lots of ferns, deer love to eat them and when they move out they will move down lower. rolling when you head up sylvester. keep and eye alone the blackberry hedges in october till november. ive shot lots with the shot gun, before you get to that durial school.they should be rutting soon. then the fun starts. used to see lots of sign up burma road to. way past sayers lake.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 10-01-2005 at 11:17 PM.

Ken, I've seen a lot ripped uplogs and stumps in that area...seems poohs are everywhere. But I didn't find any large craps or anything like deer craps. Not far from the bottom of this hill there is a running creek, but I dont know if it's a salmon stream. Since today's so pissy you can hear the water from really up high.I did find some rosehips, some were half eaten. There're trails of all sizes from all directions. But the one I picked up looks more like a bear's. I can crawl through it. But as thundersix said this area looks like blacktail land too. At first the wind was in my face, then it was on my back. There aren't many clearcuts in that area, and I believe the existing ones have been pretty much used by other hunters. So my best bet would be hiking up high. This area is very rugged, and you can see a lot quad riders rushing through all the side roads which I really hate since alot of them are not hunters and are scaring the games away. Some of them are driving very agressively. I saved one ass today by slowing down at a corner while this guy was riding like a bull cutting the corner.

Since you're here, Ken, I've got a question for ya. Do you know any access to Coquiltma lake? That one is truly my backyard. But I can't find any way up there. Pipeline was blocked all the time. Seem I will had to hike through West Plateau or Buke Mountain?