Thread: Alert Bay?

Alert Bay?

I will be in Alert Bay for a few days mid December, is there any reason to drag along hunting equipment?
    Cheers
    Rick
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alert Bay?

For waterfowl? Not on Cormorant Island unless you will be on Vancouver Island side too and know how to find the trail down to the estuary of the Cluxewe River.

And once on VI there's blacktail and black bear hunting too.
    Last edited by MichelD; 12-02-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    For waterfowl? Not on Cormorant Island unless you will be on Vancouver Island side too and know how to find the trail down to the estuary of the Cluxewe River.

And once on VI there's blacktail and black bear hunting too.

Thanks for the reply, I thought there might be a chance for sea ducks.
    Cheers
    Anon

If you have a boat you could check to see if there's any migratory duck activity in the estuary of the Nimpkish River on the Vancouver Island shore across from Alert Bay.

I don't know about sea duck hunting. There's always some around this time of year. I don't know anyone that's ever hunted them though.

There are some flocks of Canadas that seem to have moved onto Malcolm island across from the back of Cormorant Island. I had never even seen any there when I lived there from 1977 to 1986, but in the summer of 2007 I saw several flocks along the shore. How to hunt them on the beach in front of people's houses is another question, if they winter there. Might try sea ducks off Mitchell Bay and Donegal Head too.

It can be nasty weather in Cormorant Channel and Broughton Strait this time of year though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    If you have a boat you could check to see if there's any migratory duck activity in the estuary of the Nimpkish River on the Vancouver Island shore across from Alert Bay.

I don't know about sea duck hunting. There's always some around this time of year. I don't know anyone that's ever hunted them though.

There are some flocks of Canadas that seem to have moved onto Malcolm island across from the back of Cormorant Island. I had never even seen any there when I lived there from 1977 to 1986, but in the summer of 2007 I saw several flocks along the shore. How to hunt them on the beach in front of people's houses is another question, if they winter there. Might try sea ducks off Mitchell Bay and Donegal Head too.

It can be nasty weather in Cormorant Channel and Broughton Strait this time of year though.
    Thanks for the information looks like i'll just do some sight seeing . To late for fishing and few waterfowl chances, but it will be great to see some new country!
    Cheers
    Rick
    Anon

I spent 4 years there one summer
    Pull the trigger all the way back.