Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got my first today!

Re: Got my first today!

Great for you,!!! I hunted ducks and canadas when I used to live in Beaverlodge Alta .Never shot a pintail though,mallards and geese mostly.I sure miss hunting waterfowl.
    From your post I was expecting a photo of you losing your cherry
    Oh well.ducks are cool too.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Okay enough banter going on here. I am going to do something productive.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/b...x.htm#contents

Thanks for the useful link

Okay enough banter going on here. I am going to do something productive. Here is something that all duck hunters could use to brush up on identification skills. My case and point is that we as hunters have a responsibility to know the regulations and know how to distinguish the species that are involved with these regulations. It is part of being a responsible hunter. Ignorance is not an excuse and is not acceptable.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/b...x.htm#contents
    For a hunter who's harvested waterfowl(s) and requires a confirmation, that link will do the trick. For wing shooting in the field, I concur a beginner is at a big disadvantage.

Best advise given, was to head to Riefel's on Westham Is. and spend a day with bino's and teach oneself. Unless you're afield with someone who has the knowledge to make the calls.

It's all about learning.

Nice pintail James, and good to see my (old) gun is seeing some use

In no time you'll be a seasoned waterfowler!

Did you eat it?
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good going on the first duck !! The more species of ducks you knock down, the more you will recognize in the future.
    I absolutely agree with what you say, keep going and don't worry man !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    Nice pintail James, and good to see my (old) gun is seeing some use

In no time you'll be a seasoned waterfowler!

Did you eat it?
    Thanks Brian. It hasn't been eaten yet. I breasted it out and the meat is sitting in salty water to see if I can get the odor out. If it tastes like it smells it is going to need a whole heck of a lot of seasoning. I may keep it until I have enough for a family feed.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy View Post
    Thanks Brian. It hasn't been eaten yet. I breasted it out and the meat is sitting in salty water to see if I can get the odor out. If it tastes like it smells it is going to need a whole heck of a lot of seasoning. I may keep it until I have enough for a family feed.

James
    Hope the duck isn't fishy... eew!

ID-ing birds will come, I've been out about a dozen times and have gone to Pitt Marsh/Stave River/etc. (without gun) and I'm gradually beginning to pick up on ID skills. Things like wing beats and duck sounds are things you just can't learn by looking at a book. I've been very lucky to have an extremely experienced waterfowler to show me the ropes.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Would you guys be as tolerant if he posted a dead grizzly bear and said he shot his first cinnamon black bear? It is not f'in different.
    I get your point, but your example is a little over the top. Sheesh. Apples and oranges. There isn't an 8 bear limit with a maximum of 4 G-bears...if there was, your analogy would be a lot more relevant. Ducks are lumped together, bears are not....huge difference.

Phoneguy: Congrats on your first duck. IMHO you started with a bang! The drake pintail is one of my all time faves. Gorgeous bird. We don't get too many around here, so it took me years to get my first one.

Cheers
    4Ster
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSter View Post

Phoneguy
    : Congrats on your first duck. IMHO you started with a bang! The drake pintail is one of my all time faves. Gorgeous bird. We don't get too many around here, so it took me years to get my first one.

Cheers
    4Ster
    I hear you there, I've been hunting duck for over 30 years and yet to shoot a pintail drake in full plumage. I had a few chances this fall so far but made the mistake of letting them make another pass hoping they'll get closer. I see some pintail decoys making it's way into my decoy bag in the near future.

Don't get put off from the smell or raw duck. It should be fine, if your concerned about it make sure there is no fat left on the meat as that is where 95% of the strong flavor comes from.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

go to your nearest ducks unlimited office and pick up one of their nice duck posters. has all the ducks of N. america on it shows males and females and their names. the poster is nice because the ducks are small and from a distance it can help you identify based on silhouette.

I find raw duck always smells worse than cooked duck. Duck is by-far my favorite bird meat. Cooked up a nice mallard drake the other night!
    Animals gotta die too - Don't let them survive you!