Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my first today!

Got my first today!

I think it is a teal. I think I was as suprised as it was when it fell from the sky! Boundary Bay at 72nd St.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Got my first today!

Well done James...

That is a Drake Northern Pintail. You should print out some ID basic's and take them with you as you are only allowed 4 pintails per day, the other limited quantities are Cans (4) Goldeneye's (2) and Harlies (2). Also keep in mind that Canada's are closed until Dec 20.

Very best,

Ian

Good going James!

Nice pintail! AKA Sprig! 4 per day. This is the site I use to ID birds that might not be in full plumage. If you don't know what you have, don't shoot any more ducks! That's the rule I follow.

http://mercury.bio.uaf.edu/courses/w...m/duckplum.htm

How can you ethically go out and shoot birds if you don't know what they are? Do yourself and everybody else a favor and look at the regulations before you go out and shoot something that you can't identify. Pretty lame if you ask me, how can you pass the CORE without knowing identification. The ignorance of people these days makes me sick. Nice Pintail by the way.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    How can you ethically go out and shoot birds if you don't know what they are? Do yourself and everybody else a favor and look at the regulations before you go out and shoot something that you can't identify. Pretty lame if you ask me, how can you pass the CORE without knowing identification. The ignorance of people these days makes me sick. Nice Pintail by the way.
    Well, I knew that Canada Geese were over for a while, snowgeese were good, and ducks. I figured if I got one (or even two) I would be doing good for me. I held my shot at the low flying Canada's, knew I was nowhere near the limit for anything so all is good. Got to start somewhere! Yes I need to work on my identification skills. This was my third time out fowling and I was happy to get something, only once have I had any kind of coaching, hoping for more.
    The identification section of the core test is only a couple of questions. I got them right. Don't know how you guys manage to identify on the fly. Going to have to work on that (and hope for more coaching).

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    - When I did my CORE, ducks were optional. You must be a new hunter, to have had a mandatory duck ID on your course?
    - There is an 8/day limit on DUCKS.
    - There is no *requirement* to learn about identifying ducks other than those with special regulations.
    - He has been advised on the subject already, gently, no need for you to start a bitchfest.
    - Hypothetical: Could you tell a hen Pintail on the move at 40y in eclipse plumage from a hen Wigeon?
    - Hypothetical: Could you tell a drake Goldeneye on the move at 40y in eclipse plumage from a drake Bufflehead in eclipse plumage ?

Personally I doubt it. There's a lot of grey area and learning to waterfowl hunting, so why not let a guy enjoy shooting his first duck? Mmmkay?

Everybody else: sorry for the rant

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    - When I did my CORE, ducks were optional. You must be a new hunter, to have had a mandatory duck ID on your course?
    You must have taken your CORE many moons ago as the Migratory Birds section has been mandatory for at least 25 yrs or so!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I came to BC from another province and we didn't have anything to do with waterfowl on my hunter’s safety course back east. To someone who's just starting it can sometimes be hard to tell. The good thing is there isn't any one type of duck you're not allowed to shoot at least two of in BC (except loons, grebes and maybe the odd mistaken seagull duck) You need to know if it’s a duck or not a duck.

I can tell the difference between a hen pintail and widgeon 95% of the time but I’ve been hunting ducks for 30 years. Identification comes with time. The more time in the marsh over the year you’ll learn to tell from wing speed, color, sounds, and size what kind of ducks they are. The way they fly and the sound of their wings are all indications. I can't explain how much I enjoy being out in the marsh listening to all the different sounds in the marsh.

We shot a drake pintail a couple of weeks ago just at first light and we knew it was a sprig because of the thrill of his whistle as he was circling the spread. Widgeon also tend to be very vocal while flying or in the water but sound different.

Good going James!
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

good for you phoneguy, yes identification will come with time, and you will find it is relatively easy once you know.
    you know the limits so if you cant identify just make sure your not shooting a closed duck.
    cheers,,,,,,,ddog