Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22-250 for deer?

Re: .22-250 for deer?

i agree with bro jack bigger is better

Persoanlly, I'd purchase a 6.5 mm rifle. They have minimal kick and can be deadly accurate, even at longer ranges. I shoot a 7X57 for deer and love it. I've heard of historical hunters shoot elephant with this same rifle but there are these kinds of stories for every calibre. I also have a 30-06 but that is usually reserved larger game.

Personally I have used a 300 WSM, 7MM, or 308 Norma for deer. With these guns you can shoot over good distances if necessary and the animal will drop. Also if you encounter a situation where you have to put the shot in the shoulder to drop it right away there is enough jam there. Lets face it in the bush there is rarely perfect shooting situations we aren't at the range there. I want to know that if my shot isn't perfect or the animal moves, branch in the way, what ever my gun will handle it. I work with a guy who uses a 300 Ultra mag for deer and loves it.
    Just my thoughts.
    Joel

Just from my personal experience as well I would also look at the country you are hunting. I used to use a .243 for hunting deer in MB which is a good combination of some open area shooting but also some thicker bush and after one small branch diverted a shot on a nice whitetail I hung it up the next day and switched to using my .308 for deer. JMHO, but if you are going to question whether or not the rifle would do the job.....I would go bigger.

Exclamation Re: .22-250 for deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    A big moose in Sweden looks llike a nice, semi mature 'neat' bull here

true, but you see guys asking on these forums whether or not their 270 or 7mm is enough for calf moose!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

just my 2 cents, but i'd say you need to go bigger, especially around areas like PG where you'll not only encounter bear and moose, but more often then not run into mulies when deer hunting. I've seen the odd one take some bigger 30 cals, like an '06 or a 300 win.mag and keep going. I hear lots of guys using 243's and swear by it, but i'd say that might be a minimum. There is rarely a circumstance in the field when you'll get the perfect shot needed with the 250, so to me anyway, its nice to have some thump to make up for the lack of perfect shots out there.

rrfred Guest

hi / doable yes =with lots of conditions, in the hands of a well practiced skilled shooter with the discipline to pass the iffy shots.- advisable, probly not. when I had my 22 250 i had 60 grain partitions loaded as b'up in case i bumped into something, but never took on anything big on with it. rather go to nice soft spoken a 243 257 or 260 7mm08. my .02 cheers

Shot a 4x4 whitey the other day with a 22-250 with 60gr noslers. I was very impressed with how it penetrated. First shot blew a chunk out the shoulder, second shot clean pass Thur and lodged in far side hide.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

There's all kinds of things that will kill a deer with the right shot. I once heard an individual bragging about shooting deer in the head at 100yrds with a .17 HMR. Sure it works, but is it ethical? I seem to remember there used to be a listing in either the "it is unlawful" or "hunting methods" sections that you couldn't shoot big game with anything smaller than 6mm or .243, doesn't seem to be in there anymore thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    But if you must, use a X or Partition or other well constructed bullet, pick your shot carefully, and place it correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell
    unless you're a great shot and have handloads made with 53 gr. X bullets or 60 gr. Nosler Partitions, I'd avoid it.

Kickin it old school. lol
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this