Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22-250 for deer?

.22-250 for deer?

I've heard people talking about using a .22-250 for deer. Does anyone know of this kind of thing? If so, what type and grain of bullet should I use? It doesn't look like I can get an 80 grain bullet from the store here in PG. The only way to get a 75-80 gr bullet is to hand load. I don't hand load yet.

Anyone disagree with using a .22-250 for deer. My other alternative is to keep the .22-250 for coyotes, wolves and gophers, but then to buy a .243 for deer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .22-250 for deer?

Wiley,

A 22-250 is an adequate deer rifle if you can shoot it very well, and are very patient in the shot selection you use. I have seen plenty of deer drop to this round, in fact I don't think I ever saw one not drop. You just have to have exceptional shot placement and a good solid bullet to handle the high velocities. Shot placement is not difficult with this round as it is very mild recoil. Finding good factory ammo is a little more difficult as most is made for
    varmit hunting or target shooting.

If you are looking for a low recoil deer round why not step up to a .260? I have a .243 and would like a larger round for more difficult angles and longer range (if required). I have been looking into a 6.5mm round for this function, don't have the funds yet though. The .243 is a very good deer round though, you won't go wrong with it, but I would prefer something a little larger.

I would say, if the option is there, step up to a larger cal, 25-06, 260, .243. While the 22-250 will work for deer, it is on the light side, expecially when dealing with heavy bodied mulies. I would go with a heavy bullet, 75-80gr, in a premier construction, Noslers, Barnes X, etc. Be picky about your shots, and keep it close, and the rifle will work.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Well, heck, people have killed deer with .22 rimfire - and a 22-250 has way more punch than that, so it could be done if you know where to put a bullet in the critter.

However, most discussions I've seen on the topic are that the 22-250 is a little small for a deer rifle. Usually in such discussions, a .243 is what I usually see as the smallest recommended caliber.

I don't have a lot of personal experience with being minimalistic about what I shoot critters with (I use a .303 british for everything bigger than a grouse - which is just a little less thump than a .30-06), so you can consider my answer hearsay.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

I don't really wantto shoot a big bodied mue deer at a less than perfect angle with a 22-250, even with an X bullet.

But if you must, use a X or Partition or other well constructed bullet, pick your shot carefully, and place it correctly.

The .22 centerfires are not 'beginners" deer cartridges, they are for skilled marksmen and hunters.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Lightbulb Re: .22-250 for deer?

unless you're a great shot and have handloads made with 53 gr. X bullets or 60 gr. Nosler Partitions, I'd avoid it.

Very risky with a small caliber. Im not saying it wont work, but Im just saying there is dozens of cartridges better suited for deer sized game.

I'd go get that 243 and forget about the '250 for deer...better yet, get a 257 Roberts or 260 Rem at least.

my .02
    Last edited by todbartell; 09-26-2005 at 11:12 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

another thing to consider is that if you are hunting up around PG or north do you really want to be armed with only a .22 caliber rifle if you encounter a G bear? i shoot a 30-06 because while it may be slight overkill on most deer it never hurts to be prepared, especially if you ever plan on hunting elk or moose too, just my 2 cents.

I have not been to Canada yet!And only know a little bit about hunting up your way,but shooting deer with small rifles is quite common down here.I have seen Red deer(200-300lbs) shot with 223 and have shot 2 Elk cows myself with 22magnum get in close and head or neck shoot them,Speer do a .22 70gr semi-spitzer,like the other guys have said shooting deer with small rounds is not for beginers 243 with 100gr soft points is a good setup if you are recoil shy.Things are very different down here some of the things we do may be unsporting or illegal in Canada,i'm still learning what you guys can and can't do.

Post Re: .22-250 for deer?

its legal here in BC to hunt big game with a 22 centerfire but not common.

guys hunt moose in Sweden with 6.5x55's, here in Canada that is considered marginal.

slightly different mindset hunting on the different countries
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

A big moose in Sweden looks llike a nice, semi mature 'neat' bull here.

Dont' expect to see a 6 ioncherin Sween
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!