Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to bow hunting and need some advice..

New to bow hunting and need some advice..

I want to get into bow hunting, but first I need some advice on which type of
    bows, arrows and heads are of good quality and of which are recomended for mid sized game such as mule deer black bear etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to bow hunting and need some advice..

Tell us where you live and someone will recommend a bowshop try as many as you can most bows now are good just not sets like you get from cambodian tire. arrows get a cheeper carbon like easton epics and start shooting and shoot and you will be ready for hunting next year.

Hey Joe, Your first big desision is "Traditional or Modern " archery. There are pro and cons to eash. I recomend you go to several local 3-d shoots and walk through with a squad of each and weigh in your options .
    Check out TBBC website at www.kics.bc.ca/tbbc
    Good luck on your archery ventures.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Thx a lot guys. Well I'm thinkin about modern archery, I like the compound bow concept. And I live in Maple Ridge, so if u recommend any shops around this area please let me know.

JoeD2j, check out Specialty shooting sports in Langley,
    http://www.specialtyshootingsportsou...ContactUs.html

Mike will likely be able to help you out.

Boormans archery in New West was a good shop too, haven't been there for a couple of years though.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Boormans in new west offers lessons you get to use there equipment that way you can try different bows and then decide what would be best for you.I believe the lessons are $95 for 5 lessons 2 hours long each.

Bow Walker Guest

Talking Re: New to bow hunting and need some advice..

Boorman's lessons have gone up in the last few years - but what hasn't? The lessons were $75 when I took the course. Well worth it by the way. When we got done the lessons Boormans gave a 10% - 15% discount if you bought your bow there.

Nothing against Boormans........but - at the time I believe they were more interested in target archery (Chuck is a world class coach) than they were in hunting or 3D.

For my money - especially since you are out that way, you cannot go wrong at Mike & Rhonda's place. Specialty Shooting Sports. Mike is an avid bow hunter and really knows his stuff. I don't believe he would steer you wrong. Just take your time and ask a lot of questions.

Remember - there is no such thing as a dumb question, there are only dumb answers.

Good luck and try out as many bows as you can before you buy.

If you attend a 3D archery shoot check the score board and see where the majority of the higher scores are.
    Traditional equipment , while being simplistic , is not as easy as it sounds. To be a good instictive shooter requires constant practice while with a compound, once you get your form down, you can lay it down for months and after flinging a few arrows be back in the groove.
    In my opinion the majority of traditional shooters do not do the practice required to be a good instictive shooter.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some incredible traditional shooters but the are are dedicated archers who do the practice required to be a good instinctive shooter.

Hey Walksalot , I certainly disagree with most of your post. First of all checking the scores of various archery classes only tells you which class had easier pin placment. Your scenario of the higher scores in the compound classes could easily be reversed , Further to this i notice a steady increase in the number of Traditional archers at these events. At the Abbotsford indoor event the largest class is Longbow and the third largest is Recurve, In fairness it must be pointed out that part of this is due to the number of Compound classes. A lot of the Traditional archers are rather new and a lot do not hunt. Respectively i suggest that your class score assumption is not accurate.

The traditional archers who do hunt are as dedicated or more then their Compound brothers and just as effective in harvesting game.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

joe i like specialty shooting sport never steered me wrong. price is always very conpetitive and you can look at used stuff too i know i have my old bow in there tring to sell on consiment.