Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Mule Deer

My First Mule Deer

Well I got my first mule deer ever this year. After 6 long days of exploring new areas that I've never been to, and walking what felt like hundreds of miles, it finally all came together. On the last day, and in the last 15 min of hunting time before my buddy and I had to walk back to the truck to go home we spotted something with antlers. Or my buddy Charles did anyway. We were on top of a ridge over looking a small lake and swamp. He was looking down the left side of the ridge towards the tree line and I the lake for moose. We hadn't been glassing for 30 seconds when I hear Charles say " there's a buck". My ears could hardly believe it. My eyes and rifle to my shoulder quickly turned to where Charles's finger was pointing. There he was standing broad side at about 60 or 70 yards looking right back at us. I quickly checked his head to make sure what I was about to shoot was a indeed a buck and not a doe. I don't want to make the mistake of shooting the wrong animal. 2 min before this we came across two does drinking out of a puddle. By this time he had started to head across the the bottom of the ridge. I quickly put the cross heirs where it counted. I knew I had to take the shot soon cause just 30 yards more and he would be out sight. It was a little windy and I was really excited. These two things never make for a steady standing shot. I thought about going down on my knee, but by the time I did and found him it would of been to late. So I took a deep breath slowly let it out and shot. The deer kept walking as though nothing ever happened. Charles quickly asked if I hit him? I said " I think so, but I'm not sure. I put another round in the chamber and went to shoot again just in case I missed. I don't know how I could of at that range. I've shot pop cans at over a hundred yards free handed before. Just before I shot again I saw some blood start to come out just behind the shoulder half way up, and he began to get wobbly. I knew I made a good shot and there was no need for a second one, my 270wsm had done its job. The deer walk 25 yards then disappeared. Charles and I ran down the ridge to find him piled up in an old burning pile. We were both really excited! He's a nice 4x4 with 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch brow tines and the back right fork has some webbing with a little sticker trying to grow. A much better deer then my very first deer which was a 1 by 2 whitetail the year before.

Thanks Charles for tagging along, and helping me drag that heavy thing out of the bush. Couldn't of done it with out you. Dragging him a mile and a half down that mountain by myself would of killed me. Now you just have to work on getting your hunting licence, so next year you can be the one pulling the trigger.

I hope these pics work.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showp...3&limit=recent

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My First Mule Deer

Thats a very nice mule deer for your first one.
    I did not get one that big when I shot my first one ,nice wright up on your post as well ,congrats on your first of many more to come.

Well done, sounds like sleep came easy that night!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Nice to hear hard work and patience paid off again. Congrats

Cool buck man! Are you going to get it mounted?

awesome first mulie buck
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

guest Guest

Right on and congrats to you and Buddy!
    a good mulie for your first !
    C/T

Great Looking Buck! Congrats!!

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Great work. Nice looking buck, congrats.
    "A bad day of hunting is better than your best day at work."