Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a Griz over a Moose Carcass VS Salmon Streams

Shooting a Griz over a Moose Carcass VS Salmon Streams

The old thread about shooting a griz over a dead moose that was just "found" in the bush and all the ethical bluster from this spring had me thinking as I drove past the Skeena........................................

According to all of the members who outwordly chastised the person for trying to find a griz near a dead moose he found, it should then be illegal to hunt for griz along a river during the salmon spawn....ridiculous...give your head a shake. Baiting with intent is baiting.........animals eating dead animals that were found or harvested legally should be just that.....before you jump on the moose situation think it through and realize that dead fish are the same and lots of hunting happens like this. If you shot the moose and intended to shoot a griz on the gut-pile than this seems more like baiting and I've seen lots of writing on the walls to suggest that this is common by some groups of hunters such as :

Shot Moose Sept. 1
    Shot Griz Sept 3

Always moose first then griz hmmmmm

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting a Griz over a Moose Carcass VS Salmon Streams

If you are standing on a moose kill that you just shot and you have a grizz tag and one is coming right for you, do you shoot? What if the grizz is coming into camp? Got to imagine this is quite a plausible situation.

The baiting of all bears in BC has always been a contentious issue. I myself don't see the need to get a barrel and bait as is needed in other provinces. With that said, hunting bears over a gut pile, yours or one found, is no different than hunting bears over a well hid, but fully ripened blueberry patch?

Another issue the needs addressing in the current regulation?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by kozakgriz View Post
    The old thread about shooting a griz over a dead moose that was just "found" in the bush and all the ethical bluster from this spring had me thinking as I drove past the Skeena........................................

According to all of the members who outwordly chastised the person for trying to find a griz near a dead moose he found, it should then be illegal to hunt for griz along a river during the salmon spawn....ridiculous...give your head a shake. Baiting with intent is baiting.........animals eating dead animals that were found or harvested legally should be just that.....before you jump on the moose situation think it through and realize that dead fish are the same and lots of hunting happens like this. If you shot the moose and intended to shoot a griz on the gut-pile than this seems more like baiting and I've seen lots of writing on the walls to suggest that this is common by some groups of hunters such as :

Shot Moose Sept. 1
    Shot Griz Sept 3

Always moose first then griz hmmmmm
    Good points, common sense does not always prevail on here.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

WoodOx Guest

Or another situation:

Legally baiting deer with apples during deer season.

Bear comes into your stand while your in a tree - do you pass as it could be concieved as he was being baited, or do you arrow him as he could also simply be walking by?

the intention was to bait, however it was to bait deer and a bear comes in...

This happened to me with both bear and 'yotes however none are dead as I dont know where the line is drawn with issues like this...

Quote Originally Posted by agaucher View Post
    Or another situation:

Legally baiting deer with apples during deer season.

Bear comes into your stand while your in a tree - do you pass as it could be concieved as he was being baited, or do you arrow him as he could also simply be walking by?

the intention was to bait, however it was to bait deer and a bear comes in...

This happened to me with both bear and 'yotes however none are dead as I dont know where the line is drawn with issues like this...
    Shoot the yotes...let the bear walk.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Salmon stream, moose carcass, oat field, bucket of table scraps...they're all the same to the bear - food. I see no difference in hunting over one of them versus the other, apparently the MOE does.
    I guess my question is "what makes bears so special???" We can bait for every other big game species. There certainly is no shortage of bears in BC, and are most often taken as an opporunistic harvest by hunters looking for something else.
    I'm not sure what's worse - the regulation itself or the self righteous who chastise those operating in the "grey area."
    Twist and pull.

I think the crucial difference is a food source placed intentionally or naturally.

Looking at the Regs, it is unlawful to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife including bears.
    The idea being to not aclimatize bears or cats to things like campsites, bar b qs ?
    This maybe in place for public protection, and maybe the whole bear baiting spun off from this.
    We don't often realize the intent, so just follow the rules as they are written.
    Dead salmon and blueberrys occuring in their natural state are not bait. Moving them to a convenient location may be grey.
    A moose carcass could be contrived to be set up to allow the folowing harvest of a bear. Maybe maybe not, but a rule has to be set and followed.
    So why dredge up the debate again ?

Oh, and the selfrighteuos are have opinions too.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I "dredged" it up because lots of the ethics based stuff on here really ticks me off and its not until later that I realize that some very important points may have been missed. In this case, the person who started this thread was opennly chastised for looking for a griz around a dead moose he stumbled upon and if I remember right lots of "opinions" about it being illegal were given in a "factual" manner. Once it occurred to me that the salmon thing was no different I thought I'd throw it out there again to see if maybe people can change their opinions based on new ideas or if they will remain stubborn forever. I admit I have some strong opinions and never forget an arguement or grudge and I'll be the first to yell them out loud but I always admit when I'm wrong.
    I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells