Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mold on deer

Re: mold on deer

I almost always hang my game "Hide On". Skinning is a little harder but in the long run you don't have to deal with the second skin that forms otherwise. The worst part is your hands get cold skinning, but a pair of tight fitting gloves takes care of that. Nice to hear a few guys giving it some thought because it is not the norm from previous threads around here. You won't be sorry.

On a side note that has also been debated lots of times. I also leave the hide on when it is warm out. As long as it is cooling down over night, the day time temps are not to much of a worry. The bugs are a bigger issue.

Here's my theory. The body temp of a fresh kill is higher than the outside temp. It's going to take at least 12-18 hours to cool off. Therefore the outside temp will have no effect in the cooling, other than slowing it down. Get the animal hung in the shade if possible, chest open. The next morning the body temp will be lower than the temp outside. The hide will now do exactly the opposite of what it was meant to, It will now insulate the animal from the heat rather than the cold. During the day when it's too hot and you're in camp anyways, I like to have a little smudge fire under the hanging animal to help keep the flies off. Sun goes down, the bugs leave, and you go out for an evening hunt. I've done this upwards of 7 days with a moose. 22c during the day and -1 or -2 over night. It can be a little nerve racking trying to convince your hunting buddies, but once they see it works, they come around. If it's not cooling down close to freezing over night like our elk hunt this year I wouldn't do it but there was even one elk I was seriously considering it on our last day, only because the sun was about to go down in a couple hours and there was a very good breeze while we were hanging it

Also to note, when it's cold out it also helps keeping the hanging meat from freezing solid up to a point of course depending on the temperature.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I wonder how hard it is to skin a deer that has aged for a week with the hide on?Any one done it ?I might give it a try on the next one,it would avoid the dark,dried out skin on the meat that I always have to trim off.It`s getting pretty cold here(-3 at night to +3/4 in the day) so I can hang in my unheated shop.
    We always leave the hide on our deer until just before they get butchered. It is not that tough to skin and the meat is nice and clean with no dried out second skin. The only time we skin out is if the shot destroyed a shoulder, then we will skin it out to get to destroyed meat off the animal, as this will spoil fast. Just make sure that the whole cavity is open and we always use two fans that circulate the air around in the shop.

For Moose, we always skin as soon as we get it hung as the hide is just to thick and the meat to thick to try and cool fast.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Excellent,I will definatly try it out on the next deer.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by okanagan View Post
    Hello got a question..............

I have a doe that I shot 13 days ago hanging in a good friends cooler (temperature at about 4 celsius). Unfortunately I have not checked in on it in a few days, and today noticed some what I believe to be mold that is white in colour.
    Has this animal gone bad on me? The last thing I want to do is have and animal that I shot not fit to eat..............
    You have left it too long..Your Cooler should be below 4c more like o or 1c. And you should have cut the dear up 5 days ago.

My dad hung venison until you had to trim the mold off on purpose. As Allen 50 stated it is breaking down the muscle and connective tissue through enzymatic breakdown. A friend of mine is a Swiss trained Chef. He had the wife and me over one evening for dinner. There was special steak on the menu. (beef)
    When he broke open the box to show me I almost wolffed my cookies the smell was so bad. I asked him if he was serious about serving spoiled meat? He sort of chuckled and said, trust me. Well boys he threw em on the barbie and I got to tell you that was the best steak I ever ate in my life. It was cut it with a fork tender, the flavor was out of this world. If I had not of tried it I would not have believed it. I do not remember how long he said the steak had been aged but it was far in excess that the average person can buy at the supermarket. This meat was custom special order stuff that only a pro chef would probably know where to purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Butcher is right away but before you do give at a wipe down wipe a weak viniger solution. Mould doesn't like low pH environments.

When youdo butcher it, skin off all the meat that's been exposed to air. A sharp fillet knife works well.

Had one deer do this to me .... cleaned up nice and tasted fine.

SSS
    X2, but make sure you get to cutting it up right after applying the vinigar. My butcher tells me that it actually speeds up the spoiling process
    "The Rocky Mountains are the marrow of the world"

Everyone talks about how long you should or should not hang meat.Well when you hear of 14days or 21 days thats beef that has been killed in Inspected kill house that has no dirt or crap in the amimal. Yes they mould and yes we have to trim like crazy to get rid of it. Yes your cost per pound goes up because you have more waste. Beef marbles and game does not! Yes you want to hang and cool your game out but after 7-10 days all that it does is get sticky and moldy..mmm More waste and your pound price increses and you get hunters who weight there game at home and say the meat cutters have ripped us off!..
    when you have been in the industry as long as I have you hear it all. I just wish those guys teaching core would teach how to take care of your animal after you pull the trigger!

I have shot , butchered , wrapped and put in the freezer a deer all in a matter of several hours . Couldn't tell any different in taste... not sure if you really have to age deer meat at all .

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    13 days is a pretty long time to hang a deer.

Butcher is right away but before you do give at a wipe down wipe a weak viniger solution. Mould doesn't like low pH environments.

When youdo butcher it, skin off all the meat that's been exposed to air. A sharp fillet knife works well.

Had one deer do this to me .... cleaned up nice and tasted fine.

SSS
    X 3 I have had the same thing happen spoke to a Highly trained chef he said do the vinegar thing. Worked fine for us no problems.