Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mold on deer

mold on deer

Hello got a question..............

I have a doe that I shot 13 days ago hanging in a good friends cooler (temperature at about 4 celsius). Unfortunately I have not checked in on it in a few days, and today noticed some what I believe to be mold that is white in colour.
    Has this animal gone bad on me? The last thing I want to do is have and animal that I shot not fit to eat..............

2. Site Sponsor

Re: mold on deer

trim it off and get it in the freezer

hanging wild game for half a month?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post

I agree, trim it off and get it cut up and put in the freezer. Should be fine.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

13 days is a pretty long time to hang a deer.

Butcher is right away but before you do give at a wipe down wipe a weak viniger solution. Mould doesn't like low pH environments.

When youdo butcher it, skin off all the meat that's been exposed to air. A sharp fillet knife works well.

Had one deer do this to me .... cleaned up nice and tasted fine.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post

Like Tod says 13 days is out there. 4-7 days is more than enough. Trim and process pronto. Sounds like some moisture issues maybe, whats the ventilation like? Sounds like it's closed in.

WoW!! A guy can't take a moment to respond before someone beats you to it

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Its out of the cooler and on the cutting table , thanks greatly for the advice ,

I got some bad advice on how long to hang deer for I guess .......

just wipe it off with a damp cloth, and cut and wrap it, when you hang beef for 21 day's that most people want, it get's mold on it, it's ageing, and all you do is wipe it off, it's ok,, if it's fat it can hang, don't get all worked up about it,,

no it's not bad avice, you will have a nice tender deer to eat,, all hanging is doing is breaking it down, the longer the more aged, i'm not saying to leave it there for ever,, if it's fat you can leave it for awail,, like i said don't get all worked up,, whipe it cut and wrap it, it will be ok,,,, when i hang cured meat to dry it get's all moldy, just wipe it off slice it thin and goes down good with a cold beer,,,,

Good advice ,

I am very happy that I can salvage the animal as deer is one of my fav meals .....

I did get so very lucky this past week end to shoot what was to me a very large buck and do not want to screw up the processing on two animals .... ;o)

The only thing I hang is wet clothes. The best Deer I've ever eaten was still warm and twitching when we put it in the pan. More importantly is to cool it down and put some air on it (moving air - as in a fan) and a couple days is enough. Strong or gamey meat won't improve with hanging imo. Hanging to thoroughly cool the meat makes butchering easier - it sort of solidifies. Cleanliness is also to be considered - avoid cross contamination.