Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corned Venison

Corned Venison

Never tried this before ....until now.....absolutely fabulous.

Corned Venison:If you like corned beef, wait till you taste this. You can use any cut of meat but this is especially good for making the less tender cuts deliciously tender. Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl:
    2 quarts of spring or distilled water One half cup of canning or pickling salt One half cup of tenderizing salt (e.g., Mortens) 3 tblsp sugar 2 tblsp mixed pickling spices (most grocery stores stock this). 2 bay leaves 8 whole black peppercorns 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced Dissolve the ingredients in a bowl and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, then cool. Submerse the meat and marinate for 7 - 10 days in the refrigerator (larger cuts of meat take longer to corn; you might want to inject the brine mix into the center area of the meat with a meat pump or syringe). Drain off the corning solution and wash with fresh water. Cover the meat with water and boil for 15 minutes, then turn down the heat and simmer for 4 hours. Serve hot or cold with your favorite garnishings. It doesn't get any better than this

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Corned Venison

Damn that sounds good! Cold, with some Dijon mustard, German Rye bread, dill pickle(s), and a couple of Dortmunders......(slobber, slobber - wipe, wipe).

Yep...drooling here....
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Sounds good, I have corned moose before and definately recommend injecting to get the complete corned flavour throughout the meat.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Works good with bear meat as well!

Have done this before using a product called Sifto Quik Cure. Most stores don't carry it but I have had Safeway bring it in for me. There's a recipe book in each box, and the corned beef/moose is awesome. After it's done, freeze in small chunks. Then bring out for any sporting event and wash down with large amounts of beer.

Corned Bear with Hot Mustard Dill Sauce
    2 c Sea salt
    1/4 c Sugar
    4 qt Hot water
    2 tsp Pickling spice
    5 lb Bear meat
    3 Chopped garlic cloves

Dissolve salt & sugar in hot water; stir in pickling spice. Place meat in casserole dish & sprinkle with garlic. Cover meat with salt water, put on lid nd allow to stand for 3 weeks in a cool dry place, turning meat once a day. To prepare for cooking, rinse meat & soak in clean water overnight. Pour off water. Put in deep heavy pan or Dutch oven; add fresh water just to cover. Simmer 4 hours.

Sauce:
    2 Tbsp. butter
    1 Tbsp. flour
    1 Tbsp. powdered mustard
    1 pinch pepper
    1 1/4 cups bear stock
    3/4 cup half & half
    2 Tbsp. dried dill

Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour, mustard & pepper. Add a few Tbls. hot stock & whisk until smooth paste. Add remaining stock. Stir & simmer 5 minutes. Add cream & dill. Keep warm over low heat while meat is being sliced. Serve hot.

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Just finished making a batch of the corned venison above, only with bear meat. Man, it is unreal. Used about 5 lbs of meat, and the recipe yielded maybe 3.5 lbs or so, and it is some of the best sandwich type meat I've ever had. I'll definitely be making this one again, only in bigger batches.

Sooke Hunter and Alison: JUST STOP IT!!!

You are making me short out my computer with drool!!!!

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

I made this and it didnt last long at my house. mmmm raw onions n mustard on heavy bread. family loved it!