Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OLD prospectors cabin and an opium vial

OLD prospectors cabin and an opium vial

While out on a trip earlier this yr, we came across an old prospectors cabin. Not sure how old it is, but it was pretty cool to find. Very small, and the roof has wasted away. The logs were all square cut, with axe marks still on them. We also found the prospectors sley, used to haul materials and supplies into the claim.
    Short clip of the cabin and sley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQBxKQziHKY

One of the guys also found a VERY interesting object along another creek in this same area. After a little research, we found that what he had found was a Chinese "Opium Vial". Increadibly it is in MINT condition. The find raised a bit of a fuss with the "local" old timers, as they swear that the chinese were never working that particular area.
    This is a pic of a similar vial, I don't have a pic of the one we found.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

2. Site Sponsor

Re: OLD prospectors cabin and an opium vial

I've heard that the container was useful for carrying mercury too, which they used to cook out gold dust.

I used to hang out in the old mining camps and search for old bottles etc. Came across lots of these.

I'm sure the old timers were adamant that chinese never worked up there, but the chinese were some of the best darn miners and prospectors this country ever had.

If it wasn't an opium bottle used by the chinese then it was an opium bottle used by Europeans. Late 1800's.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Lover View Post
    I've heard that the container was useful for carrying mercury too, which they used to cook out gold dust.
    Good point, I have seen Mercury used to extract gold dust, but never thought about how the oldtimers carried it.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I used to hang out in the old mining camps and search for old bottles etc. Came across lots of these.

I'm sure the old timers were adamant that chinese never worked up there, but the chinese were some of the best darn miners and prospectors this country ever had.

If it wasn't an opium bottle used by the chinese then it was an opium bottle used by Europeans. Late 1800's.
    Since we found the one, I too have seen quite a few of them although the one we found is in MUCH better shape than any others I have seen. Looks like it's brand new.

I am continually amaized at the work the Chinese Prospectors did by hand. The rocks they moved, ,the creeks they re-directed, nothing but MASSIVE amounts of manual labour. Very impressive.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

very cool RD - again another sweet video

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

very cool ,, thanks for sharing,,,

Always interesting to see some of our history !

Bruce

damn, it tough to find good opium these days

lol jk. Cool find.
    Train hard....hunt easy

Red face Re: OLD prospectors cabin and an opium vial

Good story! Very interesting to stumble upon old things like this. There are a few old mine sites, shafts and paraphenalia associated with mining scattered all over the W. Kootenay region. A friends son found a couple disintegrated boxes in an old shaft which still contained some dynamite some years ago. He had enough sense to not fiddle with it and it was soon destroyed by the squad. I too found an old trapper's cabin. The roof had collapsed and inside I found what was left of a fairly good pair of snowshoes, a coleman gas lantern, an old 9 transistor radio - it still works, 2 - ten gallon drums of naptha gas - it smelled ok. Also found on the wall a spool of fuse, a box of caps. I searched for the dynamite, but didn't discover it. I'd guess this was active in early or mid 60's. In the alpine lots of junk still hangs around, if you can find it. My bro-in-law, hunting high for Mulies, took a lunch break under an old tree and when he finished and got up to leave, he noticed something hanging in the branches above his head. A pair of Bear traps in pristine condition - the jaws have the teeth on them. What a find.

Neat , thanks again for sharing .
    R.I.P BiG Boar