Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

If I was you I would call up a CO in the area that you are going to be fishing in and tell him what your planes are with your shotgun ,then you will you will know what you can or can't do.

"Prospectors and others that work in the bush can apply for ATC's- Authorizations to carry. This gives them the legal ability to carry a hangun in the bush, for predator defense."

Hi Gate. I heard you can pack side arms if you have a free miners certificate.( And of course a PAL for restricted firearms.) Any truth to that? Thanks G
    Last edited by Glenny; 11-03-2008 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Glenny View Post
    "Prospectors and others that work in the bush can apply for ATC's- Authorizations to carry. This gives them the legal ability to carry a hangun in the bush, for predator defense."

Hi Gate. I heard you can pack side arms if you have a free miners certificate.( And of course a PAL for restricted firearms.) Any truth to that? Thanks G
    The free miners certificate doesn't allow you to pack sidearms. It may qualify you for getting the ATC, which is what allows you to pack the sidearm. You actually have to do some mining and will likely need to show some evidence of it, more than throwing a goldpan into your truck and never using it.

Ok, here is my take on this.
    I am in camp with my buddies, my tags are filled for Provincial limit on Deer and the CO comes into the camp ( asking for permission first of course ) and asks, whatcha doing?
    My answer is " We are Deer Hunting"
    What have I just done? I admitted to the CO that I am hunting during a lawfull season and then he checks up on my lic. OOps, Im busted ticket issude and read details on how to contest the ticket.
    Now, I am fishing andam carrying a gun for self defence, where in the regulations both the Hunting Regs and in the Firearms Act does it specifically say I can carry a gun for Self Defence ??
    Im not saying I am 100% correct in my logic, but rather playing Devils advocate so someone doesnt open a can of worms who just has a Federal Lic. to purchase and own a gun.
    Again, just my .02 worth.
    Rob

where in the regulations both the Hunting Regs and in the Firearms Act does it specifically say I can carry a gun for Self Defence ??
    You will never ever find a list telling you what you can do. impossible to cover all the scenariios.
    Rules and regs tell you what you can not do.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yes, but technically you are required to have permit to carry, if you don't have a hunting license, even if you have a PAL.
    Prior to 1998 when they implemented the PAL and did away with the FAC this would have been correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    The "Permit to Carry" or whatever it was called was a BC permit sold to BC people that didn't have a hunting licence. You were supposed to have one if you transported any firearms (restricted/non restricted) in BC. I believe it was called a "FIrearms Liccense" and you needed that or a hunting license.
    They were called "Carry permits" IIRC, you needed to go a local hardware store and part with $20. They lasted 5 years. When the PAL was introduced in 98, the wise ones in Victoria realized the PAL made their piece of paper redundant. They then changed the requirement to "Air rifles" Ya OK!!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

BTW only a very select few prospectors/miners are able to obtain an ATC. Consider yourself lucky if you manage to go through the hoops and get one
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    the CO comes into the camp ( asking for permission first of course ) and asks, whatcha doing?
    Rob

Does the CO need to ask permission? They have more clout than cops with some stuff......Thats why you often see a CO at a RCMP road check stop....Cops have more rules about what they can and can't do when it comes to vehicle inspections....CO's don't have the same restrictions.....

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    where in the regulations both the Hunting Regs and in the Firearms Act does it specifically say I can carry a gun for Self Defence ??
    Your thinking is backwards...laws are made to list what we cannot do, not what we can do.

Which is why, of course, the hunting regs always seem so confusing and open to interpretation!

-oops, I see boxhitch beat me to it.
    Last edited by KevinB; 11-03-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

I'd stick with slugs, that way you'd have a more reasonable argument that your shotgun is for bear defense only.

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke