Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    Make sure your shotgun is not a semi-auto; if so you can only have 5 slugs. Am I correct folks?
    good point, from the CFA maybe ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Just Carry A Big Stick!!!!!!!!! Apparently It Works!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    Dude, any way you slice it , your asking for trouble.
    A gun for self defence is just another excuse to whine to the judge when you have to explain your actions.
    Dead bear in season no tag??? Hmmm sounds fishy to me.
    Dead bear out of season with a tag ???? Again sounds fishy to me?
    But then again what do I know.
    Look at Gatehouses reply and the answer is quite simple. Yes the CO find find it fishy "IF" there was a dead bear (from stories I've heard). I myself would feel better knowing I had enough fire power to defend my life against a bear attack then the alternative. I have packed a Marlin guide gun with out a bear tag many a time into remote fishing lakes and felt quite good about it thank you and the poster should feel quite confident with a short barreled shotgun with slugs too. POL or PAL mandatory I totally agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, (it happens!!) but you only need worry about the 3 shot rule if your hunting birds? You don't even need a hunting licence to carry a shottie in the bush, you PAL supercedes your hunting licence, for carry purposes only.

Yes, but technically you are required to have permit to carry, if you don't have a hunting license, even if you have a PAL.

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    Make sure your shotgun is not a semi-auto; if so you can only have 5 slugs. Am I correct folks?
    Your semi auto shotgun should not have a magazine capacity over 5 rounds to begin with, as per federal law.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yes, but technically you are required to have permit to carry, if you don't have a hunting license, even if you have a PAL.
    No such thing as the "Permit to Carry" anymore.

PAL replaced it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Shotguns with buckshot are ok for coyotes, and they have a long season, no tag required.
    Still need to plug your shotgun, as per hunting regs, if using shot vs coyotes. Everyone shoudl keep that in mind...

They shoudl amend hunitng regs to require plugs only for bird hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    No such thing as the "Permit to Carry" anymore.

PAL replaced it.
    Even for "Bonified Prospectors"? I heard this is no longer but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybear View Post
    Even for "Bonified Prospectors"? I heard this is no longer but not sure.
    The "Permit to Carry" or whatever it was called was a BC permit sold to BC people that didn't have a hunting licence. You were supposed to have one if you transported any firearms (restricted/non restricted) in BC. I believe it was called a "FIrearms Liccense" and you needed that or a hunting license.

So if you carried a gun for defense, or shot trap, you were supposed to have one or the other, regardless of hunting seasons. To be honest, it was just a silly card that really did nothing, as most "gun control" laws are.

This was phased out when the PAL came into effect.

Prospectors and others that work in the bush can apply for ATC's- Authorizations to carry. This gives them the legal ability to carry a hangun in the bush, for predator defense.

Of course, non working people cannot obtain this permit, for some reason recreational users lives are worth less...

Check out the link to the fed site:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/wild_e.asp

As well, the site also states:

Q. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?
    As set out in Criminal Code Regulations, some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:
    • 5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or
    • 10 cartridges for most handgun magazines
    A large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.
    There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

In a nutshell:
    • you can pack five (semi-auto), not six shells of whatever flavour you want.
    • don't use the word 'hunting' if you have a conversation with a CO - protection is strictly for protection.
    • print off some documents from the CFC site and keep it in your truck (or close-by). It is better to be appear informed than ignorant.
    Good luck,

-FOT-
    Last edited by fireonethree; 11-03-2008 at 12:31 AM.