Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Yup, I guess this is the answer then, so long as shotgun hunting is allowed wherever I'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Legi0n View Post
    So, get a bear tag and be on your way.

Yes you are right, but I was planning to use 00 buck, but the other post mentioned just using slugs and I'm good to go, which seems reasonable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, (it happens!!) but you only need worry about the 3 shot rule if your hunting birds? You don't even need a hunting licence to carry a shottie in the bush, you PAL supercedes your hunting licence, for carry purposes only.

You can load your shotgun with as many single projectiles (slugs) as your firearm holds, for defense or hunting purposes.

You can only hunt with 2+1 shells of shot variety.

There doesn't seem to be a clear regulation regarding shot shells and defense, out of hunting season, but I would imagine that if you are not hunting, the hunting regulations don't apply to you.

You certainly have the right to defend yourself from animal attack in the bush, and you are certainly legal to target practice in the bush, too.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Yes you are right, but I was planning to use 00 buck, but the other post mentioned just using slugs and I'm good to go, which seems reasonable enough.
    Slugs are usually a better choice for bear defense, anyway
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Well, if you're not hunting I don't beleive it matters. Here's what the regs state regarding hunting...

It is unlawful to hunt with a set gun, or to hunt wildlife with a pump,
    repeating or auto-loading shotgun with a magazine capable of holding
    more than two shells. Where the use of a shotgun is allowed for
    hunting or trapping big game, an unplugged shotgun holding more than
    2 shells and firing single projectiles only (slugs) may be used.

Thanks, very clear.

I'm thinking that a short barrel shotgun with slugs is pretty obviously a defense weapon rather than a hunting weapon for those areas/times when hunting is not permitted....at least I'd hope the CO sees it that way. For example, there are great canoe routes outside of any parks that we do outside of hunting season, but the shotgun would be defensive only (and yes, we have pepper spray, the shotty is for the unlikely event that the pepper spray is not entirely effective, in terms of the bear returning to camp afterward).

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    You can load your shotgun with as many single projectiles (slugs) as your firearm holds, for defense or hunting purposes.

You can only hunt with 2+1 shells of shot variety.

There doesn't seem to be a clear regulation regarding shot shells and defense, out of hunting season, but I would imagine that if you are not hunting, the hunting regulations don't apply to you.

You certainly have the right to defend yourself from animal attack in the bush, and you are certainly legal to target practice in the bush, too.

Don't know what all the fuss is about on this one.

Slugs in a shotgun is the correct bear medicine for self defence...You want penetration, as the charge will be head on.

As for carrying it for self defence and no hunting licence, just make sure you are carrying you valid POL or PAL and you are good to go.....simple.

No CO should give you a hard time, it should be pretty obvious that carrying a fly rod and fishing tackle isn't really conducive to bear hunting.

Beautiful, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Don't know what all the fuss is about on this one.

Slugs in a shotgun is the correct bear medicine for self defence...You want penetration, as the charge will be head on.

As for carrying it for self defence and no hunting licence, just make sure you are carrying you valid POL or PAL and you are good to go.....simple.

No CO should give you a hard time, it should be pretty obvious that carrying a fly rod and fishing tackle isn't really conducive to bear hunting.

Make sure your shotgun is not a semi-auto; if so you can only have 5 slugs. Am I correct folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Shotguns with buckshot are ok for coyotes, and they have a long season, no tag required.
    But then again we all know you will need more than 3 shots for proper defensive shooting, it happens all the time.
    Go with the slugs.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole