Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Nog

You don’t mind the 2 triggers?

I think I’d rather have a 20” over under with a single trigger if I was going to run 2 barrels

like a Stoeger condor outback. https://stoegerindustries.com/shotgu...otguns?eid=256
    I personally like 2 triggers in a Holy crap double gun. I backed up with a 45-70 2 trigger double. It's easy to squeeze off the front trigger and slide back and positioned for a follow up by the time you're back on target. JMHO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I personally like 2 triggers in a Holy crap double gun. I backed up with a 45-70 2 trigger double. It's easy to squeeze off the front trigger and slide back and positioned for a follow up by the time you're back on target. JMHO
    Hmm. I've never really tried one with 2 triggers so that's interesting.

I just figured one trigger would be one less thing to think about, when you have to act fast.

When I saw a 2008 thread bumped I figures Klassen was back!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Nog

I think I’d rather have a 20” over under with a single trigger if I was going to run 2 barrels

like a Stoeger condor outback. https://stoegerindustries.com/shotgu...otguns?eid=256
    You can overcome most obstacles (like double triggers) with training. The question is do you want to? And for what reason?

If your chosen defense firearm has double triggers and it's the only option you have, then you must train to use them properly. If you have other options with a single trigger, then why not go with what you are used to? Even people experienced with double triggers can mess it up when under even a little stress (like shooting at birds)

While I always have liked the look of SXS firearms with double triggers, I don't own any these days. Over unders with single triggers seem more packable and practical.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Arrow Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Nog

It's all what you get used to.
    As Foxey noted above, I can slam two right on target in less than a second.
    Lots of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    While I always have liked the look of SXS firearms with double triggers, I don't own any these days. Over unders with single triggers seem more packable and practical.
    I own over and unders (yes, with single triggers) for one purpose - shooting birds.
    Their barrels are far from practical in length for tight situations, and although I do hear what you are suggesting, I sure as hell ain't cutting any of them down.

The double I posted is light, short, and much more packable & practical IMO in these kind of situations.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    I own over and unders (yes, with single triggers) for one purpose - shooting birds.
    Their barrels are far from practical in length for tight situations, and although I do hear what you are suggesting, I sure as hell ain't cutting any of them down.

The double I posted is light, short, and much more packable & practical IMO in these kind of situations.

Cheers,
    Nog

Nobody is suggesting to choose a long barrel shotgun for defense. You can get single trigger O/U shotguns with short barrels. I've seen them as short as 12" but 20" seems more common. My shorty O/U has 16.5" barrels and fiber optic sights like you would find on a handgun. It's about as light, packable and practical as they come. Due to the excellent and day/night visible sight it's very fast to get on target, too.

"My shorty O/U has 16.5" barrels and fiber optic sights"

Nice, does it happen to fold in half ?
    Marstar shows a new folding pumper, 20" tubes fold to 25" long
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post

Nice, does it happen to fold in half ?
    Marstar shows a new folding pumper, 20" tubes fold to 25" long
    It doesn’t fold in half but you can pull the barrels off in about 2 seconds.

Do you have a link to the Marstsr shotgun ?

what is your shorty o/u? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post

what is your shorty o/u? Sounds interesting.

it's a Ricol, made in Turkey and imported by Corwin Arms a few years ago. Turkey makes lots of shotguns and many are branded for more commonly known firearm companies.

Mine is a 20g that I use as a truck gun for grouse and it's perfect in that application. They also had 410 and 12 gauge versions. Mine has choke tubes as well. It's good quality, too. Not junky like some of the shotgun imports. I don't use it for defense but it would work well in that application by loading it with a couple of slugs.

A few other places bring similar shotguns in sometimes, here's a review of the Sulun which I think would benefit from a full length butt and a bit longer barrels. But you get the idea about other available options.