Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    Better tell the guy thats wants 6 shells in shot gun to carry "6 omellets or pancakes" that way IF an WHEN he does encounter a bear he can TOSS or DROP the GOODIES and run like hell in the other direction to safety! I think the gun is of little use in the hands of a novice, money would be better spent on BEAR AWARE coarse and BELLS and PEPPER SPRAY ! and if one or two shots dont do the trick !!, then the rest will be up to the coroner! the other 4 shells will just be more of the victems personal effects!
    I heartily agree. Bear bells and pepper spray...well maybe the bells might help a little, but that spray stuff....I dunno. For a fisherman bells might do a little in letting bears know you are around, though bells would probably let STEELHEAD know you were there too - crafty buggers

Funny how the eco-tourist types wear bear bells and wonder why they don't see any other wildlife

As for 5 shell capacity - yeah, five should be MORE than enough for what you need it for...

I'd rather have one of these, speaking of a handy camp bear gun:
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...1&cat=0&page=1
    I don't think there would be much doubt that this is a bear defense gun.

I think one of these puppies is next on my list...

Wolfman
    Last edited by Wolfman; 11-03-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Talking Re: Carrying shotgun with 6 shells -- CO problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    I heartily agree. Bear bells and pepper spray...well maybe the bells might help a little, but that spray stuff....I dunno.

I'd rather have one of these, speaking of a handy camp bear gun:
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...1&cat=0&page=1
    I don't think there would be much doubt that this is a bear defense gun.

Wolfman
    Truth is in bear attacks, seldom time for ONE !! much less 6 shots !! loaded guns dont mean your bear proof!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Using a Firearm for Wilderness Protection
    "If you wish to use a firearm for protection against animal predators in wilderness areas, here is some information you should know regarding legal requirements under the Firearms Act...As a general rule, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns." ( http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/wild_e.asp )

We all know there is a difference between hunting and carrying a firearm.

Carrying a firearm for protection is not hunting and allows you to pack a shotgun with a magazine capacity of 5 shells, as per the Federal definition. (So, alternating ammo like 00 buck and slugs would be legal for bear defense).

Hunting big game with a shotgun is covered by the Provincial Regulations (p.17,H&T Syn) that state you can load it up with more than 2 shells (up to 5 because over 5, then the Fed's come into play) have it unplugged, loaded with slugs only.

-FOT-

dude after 6 pages .... I dont think your up to anything "fishy" just a dude looking for some answers and got 6 pages of confusing stuff ....

if you going out to bear country ..load with slugs ... lots of them ...
    I dont recall who said it first on this site ... but the quote goes like this
    I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Whew! Ok, summarizing the information from here and elsewhere:

1) A person can carry any non-restricted firearm (including a pump shotgun with unlimited shells or a semi-auto with 5) using buckshot or slugs in any area where its legal to shoot the thing if it is strictly for self-defense. A good suggestion is to keep it filled with slugs as this is pretty obvious proof that one is carrying it for bear defense. You must have your PAL with you but no hunting license is required. A CO who sees you with such a firearm and no other hunting paraphernalia shouldn't give you a hard time.

2) If you actually are hunting, all the hunting rules apply -- watch that shotgun with buckshot!

3) The storage rules do not apply when you are "using" it for self-defense. If the firearm is left unattended at camp, secure it properly.

4) A person can carry a non-restricted firearm in any of these listed provincial parks with a PAL *and* a hunting license and ONLY during hunting season, otherwise firearms are prohibited at any other time. Simply carrying a PAL during hunting season in these parks is not sufficient, as the regs require a hunting license as well.

5) You can never carry a firearm in a national (federal) park.

6) Authorizations to carry are required for restricted firearms (ie handguns) but are tough to get and you have to be genuinely working in the bush to apply.

7) Some people think it's a waste of time to bring a firearm for bear defense, bear spray is much better. Do what you feel is best (personally, I'll bring both when I'm miles from civilization gutting fish at the river's edge in bear country).

Ok, is this accurate??

Always bear spray first or horn,,,,, then kukri and maybe break out the shotgun.

HAHAHA

you realize you just resurrected this thread from 2008...good info either way

So it is illegal to hunt Anything with more than 2 shot shells in the mag, total 3. It is legal to carry more than 2/3 if they are single projectile shells(slugs). Then if you are shooting auto loader you run into the 5 shot mag issue. That being said, in a holy crap bear situation you probably wont have time for more than a couple of shots anyway. Make them count, a couple of Brennekes will do the job if the shooter can. As for pepper spray well all I'll say is pepper is for AFTER the bear is on the grill and a horn well that can be used to call in every one for the Pepper bear chops.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 04-24-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Unless you are walking up to a pond and not walking down a trail away from water, I don't see any problem with any CO I have met. They are humans just like us. And most that I know are good people. Remember I live in Horsefly!!
    As I age a sideXside or over and under would be un-grouse possible.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Your semi auto shotgun should not have a magazine capacity over 5 rounds to begin with, as per federal law.
    Limit is for the longest shells a gun is designed for.

If you look at guys in the 3 gun game the real hero’s run semi 3.5” guns. They can legally hold 7, 2&3/4 shells in the 5 round 3.5” magazine.