Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boars (european big pigs) in Canada?

Re: Boars (european big pigs) in Canada?

if they were still there,it would be very appearent-on my trip to NewZealand last spring-you could easily see the rooted up fields even from a distance.They travel in packs and wreck havoc on pastures, fields,meadows- and farmers want them gone

On Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands, they have regular pig hunting seasons with the terrain organized into zones with various rules per zone or unit.

"Kauai is the oldest and most northerly of the seven major Hawaiian islands. Dubbed the "Garden Island" for it's lush tropical rain forests, Kauai offers a variety of terrains and wildlife for the hunting enthusiast.

Three game mammal species are open to hunting on the Garden Island, Columbian Blacktail deer (introduced in 1961), Feral goats, and Feral pigs."

Hunting feral pigs....

"The feral pig was introduced by the first Polynesian voyagers. A hybrid evolved after the first European travelers brought the domestic hog. The Feral Polynesian Boar averages 125 pounds. The hybrid cross averages 180 pounds with occasional trophies up to 400 pounds being heard of.

The Feral Pig season is year round in certain hunting units. Other areas have a special "Still Hunt" season which starts in February and extends through the month of June. Either sex is open to hunting. Recently DLNR officials have enstated a tag/lottery system for the first month of February due to the increasing numbers of hunters each year. This is to regulate the mass of some 2000 Kauai hunters on opening day.

There are several different methods of hunting the Feral Pig. Some like to have their trusty rifle, muzzleloader, or bow and try still hunting. Others prefer the "extreme" method of "dog & knife". Hunting dogs are used to track and hold down a pig while the hunter dispatches it with just his knife. This can be extremely thrilling as tackling a 200 pound boar with tusks up to 4 inches in length can put you in a very dangerous situation."

How many would hunt with just a dog and a knife....hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    Ive heard of them in the lower mainland and up north (maybe Kamloops). And even (rumor) in the Kelowna area.
    I also heard, if you see one you can shoot it. No tag needed. I think the COs are okay with the no tag part. Does anyone know for sure ?
    There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE – except as indicated in this Synopsis. It is unlawful to hunt at any time during the year except within the open season, or by authority of a permit issued under the Wildlife Act.
    Last edited by Legi0n; 11-03-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: forgot link

I have seen them in Vanderhoof, my uncle saw this black thing running around so he went to take a look and next thing he knows the thing is running at him so he let one go beside it and it was about 15' in front of him before he let another one go and had to drop it we took it to the Co's up there and they said if we see any more to shoot them 2 days later we saw the rest of the family and took a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Legi0n View Post
    There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE – except as indicated in this Synopsis. It is unlawful to hunt at any time during the year except within the open season, or by authority of a permit issued under the Wildlife Act.

Feral hogs aren't wildlife, and aren't covered by the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by kako99 View Post
    I have seen them in Vanderhoof, my uncle saw this black thing running around so he went to take a look and next thing he knows the thing is running at him so he let one go beside it and it was about 15' in front of him before he let another one go and had to drop it we took it to the Co's up there and they said if we see any more to shoot them 2 days later we saw the rest of the family and took a few more.

Did you eat them?

Were they pig-a-licious?

I'm on the committee of the Tokoroa Pig Hunting Club, Est 1975 and membership of 1000. Pigs are hunted with dogs that are quiet running, (trail barkers are shot) and good arse biters. Big pigs are usually "bailed" ( dogs stand back and bark and hunter catchs up and dispatchs pig) or are held by ears by dogs called "holders" and hunter "sticks" pig under the throat where arteries cross in front of heart. I want to warn any woman whos partner takes up pighunting, PIG HUNTING IS A DISEASE and there is no cure. Pig hunters have to have a regular fix. I understand there are feral feral european pigs in Alberta. Check hunt Alberta web site.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

you guys dont use dogs that are open trailers at all? In Oz i was told that some are open and most are not the ones that strike of the ute and then bay up are not the catch dogs .I have hounds here and i figure pig hunting with dogs would be a whole lot of adrenaline.

I have hunted pigs in California ( I cant believe that was 15 years almost) before but not with dogs.

what breed of dogs do you use for pigs in NZ

Wink Re: Boars (european big pigs) in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by gamehunter6o View Post
    I'm on the committee of the Tokoroa Pig Hunting Club, Est 1975 and membership of 1000. Pigs are hunted with dogs that are quiet running, (trail barkers are shot) and good arse biters. Big pigs are usually "bailed" ( dogs stand back and bark and hunter catchs up and dispatchs pig) or are held by ears by dogs called "holders" and hunter "sticks" pig under the throat where arteries cross in front of heart. I want to warn any woman whos partner takes up pighunting, PIG HUNTING IS A DISEASE and there is no cure. Pig hunters have to have a regular fix. I understand there are feral feral european pigs in Alberta. Check hunt Alberta web site.
    aww! you guys are so civalized ! here in Canada it is not uncommon to be surrounded by (Tree Huggers ) or be thwarted by (Vegi-tarians) as you are attempting to sneak up on an (all beef patty ona sesame seed bunn) and sometimes you may even get caught drivin with out your seatbelt fastened! thats really scarey!!!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    aww! you guys are so civalized ! here in Canada it is not uncommon to be surrounded by (Tree Huggers ) or be thwarted by (Vegi-tarians) as you are attempting to sneak up on an (all beef patty ona sesame seed bunn) and sometimes you may even get caught drivin with out your seatbelt fastened! thats really scarey!!!
    LMAO... I dunno... I'll take the Boars any day!

You?