Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: decoy layouts

decoy layouts

can anyone tell me where i can look at a decoy layout for about 30 decoys i have tried various patterns sometimes it works sometimes it dont havent really hit on the right recipe yet any websites that show a proper layout.thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: decoy layouts

for ducks or geese?

Good Question! I usually just wing it. If I have hunted a spot before I will have an idea of how the birds will come in depending on conditions ( clear, rainy/windy). I try to see up to give the birds an optimal spot to land where they will be in the best position for shooting. I am not an expert and so I look forward to hearing about ways to improve my spread. I also try not to put decoys too close to where I am hiding. Does this make a difference?
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Well, I'm not overly experienced on decoying geese but have brought it many ducks. My fool proof spread is basically a semi circle around the blind. Leave a nice open "hole" right in front of your blind. Set the decoys in a semi-circle with the outside of the spread being within shooting range. Generally the more the better, we generally use about 5-6 dozen deeks. The key is to make sure all the open water on the outside of the spread is within shooting range Most birds will try to land tight to your spread. Often times they will go for the big open "hole" right in front of you. HOWEVER, it is also critical to be well hidden. All my blinds are made from natural materials from the area-blade grass ect... It's also key to be wearing full camo, face mask ect.. and don't move when they are overhead. The other big key to our formula is to learn how to call...not just a hen call but feed call, confidence call, comeback call ect... Buy a video and spend some time learning to call.
    Last edited by c.r.hunter; 10-28-2008 at 09:00 AM.

take a handfull of pennies and throw them up in the air. Where ever they land put a decoy there.

Ducks and geese will often land outside your farthest decoy so make sure that all your dekes are within range (your effective range that is). In marsh hunting I keep mine fairly spread out on the theory that relaxed and happy ducks don't sit together in a tight bunch. The only hunt where I consider decoy placement to be crucial is brant and of course think my set is the best for getting them in range ---but you'll find any number of theories on that particular "best".

I don’t use fancy layouts. Usually I set the decoys in two groups to either side of the blind. This gives the birds room to land in the middle, right in front of my shotgun. Ducks also will land to either side of the decoy groups. Just make sure the decoys are set up inside your shooting range and that the ducks approaching from downwind can land. I have found that good calling tactics are much more important than decoy layout.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

thanks for the info will try the semi circle and two groups the next time im out.here's to good hunting

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post
    I don’t use fancy layouts. Usually I set the decoys in two groups to either side of the blind. This gives the birds room to land in the middle, right in front of my shotgun. Ducks also will land to either side of the decoy groups. Just make sure the decoys are set up inside your shooting range and that the ducks approaching from downwind can land. I have found that good calling tactics are much more important than decoy layout.
    Bad calling can be worst then no calling at all. If the birds are working the spread stop calling, if they pass you, give them a come back call.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Most of the basic points have been covered...

here are a couple other factors...

WIND! Ducks like to land into the wind, so you need to set your hole up to meet the shooting restrictions as outlined by others, but also to make the shot as best you can. Many like cupped birds in their face, I prefer a crossing wind, lot less meat damage then a full load of face on, and a crossing bird is a more natural swing, then in and out.

Most important is you need to be where the ducks want to be, if you are off by a few hundred yards no decoy spread will pull them, MOVE! keep moving till you figure them out.

Best of luck,

Ian