Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting a moose

Re: Cutting a moose

I too did a moose up on haloween evening didnt want to scare the kiddees but 2 of the parents saw what we were up to and came to the garage with pillow slips and politely said.."TRICK OR TREAT..ROASTS PLEASE.."

deboning and then butchering a moose is indeed a big deer exactly the same..your choice on the hind end what you use more of roasts or steaks....

I personally cut the EYE OF THE ROUND into small butterfly type steaks marked "for STEVEN ONLY"..

one side I will make staeaks out of the TOP round howeverf the other side I only make steaks out of BOTTOM round and the rest LARGE roasts..

neck is for stew..somehow tastes the best as stew meat...

the front end is all burger as we use lots off burger..

We dont get all that many steaks off our moose but I cut mine THICK..

and I rely on our deer for steaks and the burger from deer is used for sausage...

TIP...

EVEN ON MOOSE,,,use your HANDS as much as your knife..its much easier to follow the seems that way....pulling..and slightly "helping when needed with the knife...

cheers

Steven

Re: Cutting a moose

Thanks all. It will be an adventure, but I am up for the challenge. If I can do a moose, I could do anything.... well maybe not an elephant. Looking forward to it. I really like butchering.
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."