Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting a moose

Hybrid View

Cutting a moose

My friends just got back from the north with an immature bull, and they need help butchering. I have done a few island deer and I am pretty handy at it, just wondering if there is anything special that I need to know about it, besided that they are much bigger. I think there will be quite a bit of burger meat for peps and sausage, because that is what they want. Any help would be much appreciated.
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cutting a moose

it's all the same only bigger, you can make all the same cuts, roast, steaks, make the hind into roast etc, and the fromt neck into mince, also if your making jerky you can use the front shoulder as there should be no fat in it,, good luck, keep it clean,,

Bow Walker Guest

Yup - what he said....

You probably know these tricks but---I cover a table with clean cardboard to cut on, and it won't slide around.Also, the greatest is to use a small butane torch to go over your meat--it zaps the hair permanently, instead of trying to wipe it off all the time. Clean it up with damp cheezecloth. You can get decent shoulder roasts from a moose. Just follow the "seams" when you de-bone. (I never have bones in my meat.)
    It just takes longer--do one quarter at a time.

this is what I was given by my brother in law to follow as a guideline - he is a meat cutter

I have a complete information sheet for cutting game meats as well as deboning poultry/game birds - if you are interested just pm me your email and I can send it
    Last edited by newhunterette; 10-27-2008 at 10:51 AM.

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by newhunterette View Post
    this is what I was given by my brother in law to follow as a guideline - he is a meat cutter

I would just print this out bigger and then lay it over the carcass. Fire up the chainsaw and use an edible vegetable oil to lube the chain. Have fun! PS. If you do this Oct 31st after letting it hang for a few days it will make a great display for the nieghborhood kids.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    I would just print this out bigger and then lay it over the carcass. Fire up the chainsaw and use an edible vegetable oil to lube the chain. Have fun! PS. If you do this Oct 31st after letting it hang for a few days it will make a great display for the nieghborhood kids.
    OMGosh bigbore - you just reminded me of when Peter got his first moose - he cut it up in the garage and it was Halloween Night - he was taking the rib cage to the back yard to give to our dogs to have a good night of chomping (took their minds off the firecrackers and such) - a couple of pre teen trick or treaters came up the driveway just as Peter was coming out of the garage with the rib cage - those kids had an absolute fright lol was hilarious

sorry didn't mean to go off topic but your comment just reminded me of that night

While we're on the topic, I'm hoping to get a deer for the first time this year. I'm good with rabbits and grouse and stuff but I'm still learning (ahead of time lol) how to dress then butcher a deer. There's a meat cutter over here who will do it for me but doing it myself is part of the process, at least for me.

Any book titles or links would be appreciated and if anyone has photos that would be even better. Being a family board and all, pm is probably best.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle

Cool, thanks. Like a paint(cut?) by numbers, lol...PM enroute Ali

Bigbore, I was thinking of a gutpile on the doorstep with a candle in it for Halloween, but we don't get enough kids for the desired effect (now where's that barf smiley...).
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Cool, thanks. Like a paint(cut?) by numbers, lol...PM enroute Ali

Bigbore, I was thinking of a gutpile on the doorstep with a candle in it for Halloween, but we don't get enough kids for the desired effect (now where's that barf smiley...).
    lol
    Deadeye - e-mail your way