Thread: .410 for my daughter

.410 for my daughter

For 6 years now, my 14 year old son and i have hunted waterfowl on the island. He has hunted 6 years and 5 years now with the gun. I started him off not with a .410, not with a 20 gauge, but with my big old heavy 12 guage double barrel that he could barely aim. (The same way I was Raised ) Took him a while to get used too. Now he shoots up to 3-1/2 mags in his 870.

Now my 11 year old daughter has been coming with us lately and wants to shoot. But this round i don't think a 12 guage wouldn't fit her. Mainly because she would be laying on her butt after one shot, and its quite heavy and big for her. I was thinking of getting .410 for her. Something like a small double barrel. The question is, which one? Would want a new one. Anyone know about .410's? Even manufacturers names would be GREAT.

Longshot
    Last edited by longshot; 10-26-2008 at 08:47 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .410 for my daughter

can you get non toxic shot for 410? I would look at a trim 20 gauge myself
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have seen a few kids shooting 410's around. and have seen some shells laying around. So they must (hopefully) have steel shot.

a quick view of Federal, Remington, Winchester & Hevishot's websites show no 410 ammo that is made with anything but lead.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-WEX4103S

Not sure if you can get it in Canada

I too would suggest that you consider buying your daughter a 20 gauge instead of a .410 shotgun. If she needs a youth size to start with, it would be much easier to sell and upgrade to something larger than trying to find a buyer for a .410. The ammunition costs and availability are something else to think about. I also see the problem of handicapping her with a gun that won't be as lethal for waterfowl hunting.
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    I too would suggest that you consider buying your daughter a 20 gauge instead of a .410 shotgun. If she needs a youth size to start with, it would be much easier to sell and upgrade to something larger than trying to find a buyer for a .410. The ammunition costs and availability are something else to think about. I also see the problem of handicapping her with a gun that won't be as lethal for waterfowl hunting.
    I have to agree with Bllindman including the "less lethal" part. By that I mean less pattern density and an inexperienced shooter would be at a disadvantage.
    My first gun was a 20 ga. pump even though I had shot my dad's 12 guage 870 with no problems. I only used the 20 for a couple years and then traded dad most of the time because I found the 20 didn't fit me.
    I recommend either a 20ga. auto or a 12 guage auto cut down to fit. I would lean towards the 12 ga cut down as there isn't the possibility of a shell mix up with other guns. I did it once but my dad caught it before I took a shot. A lesson I have never forgotten and think of often. The 12 could also be loaded down if need be (1 oz, 2 3/4" shells).
    Good luck,
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

after a few years of taking kids out for heritage days i would suggest that you look for a 20 ga.auto. we have had our best success with this gun as its not heavy and has minimal recoil which is very important.a 410 doesnt have much of a pay load for birds with heavy plummage.....fowl

I think i am going to go with the 20 Ga. for my daughter. The guys from reliable in vancouver are going to order one for me. I think a 20 is better than a 410 after what you guys said and some research. Plus I think you guys are right, can't find any steel shot. I think it will be a good gun for her.

Thanks for all the help guys! much appreciated.

Longshot
    Last edited by longshot; 10-28-2008 at 07:45 PM.