Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag

Sleeping bag

Hey guys I was lookin to get a half decent sleeping bag for about a hundred bucks (or less)
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kenny
    city slicker............... hunter to be...........

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sleeping bag

What tempature do you want it rated for? Are you going to be backpacking or just driving?

A $100 and a decent sleeping bag don't go together. Try looking in the army surplus store for a used Canadian Forces inner outer bag. Good bag, will save you money.

If you arent looking for a packable bag, Cdn Tire has a wicked Woods bag, looks like canvas on the outside and nice fleece on the inside, double wide and rated to -18, I bought that for my cot and look forward to sleeping in it each elk season.
    A quality packable bag will run you at least $300, more likely $4-500 last I looked (a few years ago, went with the Marmot Pinnacle. -9 rating)
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

We are goin to be sleepin in the bed of my buddy's truck. Hes got an electric heater so he says it "shouldnt" be too cold!
    Are the surplus inner outer bags pretty warm?
    We will be hiking but the bags will be left at camp, so my main concern would be bang for the buck! as opposed to packability
    Tee hee no pun intended.......
    Last edited by westcoastkenny; 10-26-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    city slicker............... hunter to be...........

For car camping I have a columbia I got for $70 at can tire, good for -7, never been cold in it. It's not a mummy so you have lots of room and I zip 2 together when the wife comes along.
    In a truck with a heater almost any bag would probably do, but might as well get a good one that will last.

North Face has some decent synthetic fill bags. The Bighorn is a larger mummy/barrel type with hood and -7 C. rating. Same bag is available in other sizes.
    Bought mine at Far West but I think others carry the line too.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I have been looking at the MEC hybrid bags. $150 and good to -20. I think I will be picking one of those up this year.

Electric heater in a truck? must have a long extension cord or lots of batteries..

Nothing worse than being awake all night shaking because your cold...

Bang for the bucks, spend an extra $100 for good 3 season mummy bag rated -7 to -12 and get a selfinflating matress, like thermorest, which reflects the heat back.

+1 on the CF bag. I actually kept ('lost' and paid for) mine when I got out. I paid the contract price for it which is inflated (like a $100 screwdriver lol) - it's that good. But then, not many other militaries have need of such a versatile bag...the CF snowshoes rock as well !

I used it to -20 C in a snow cave with just the inner and liner (I've never used both the inner & outer at the same time). If you get the cotton liner as well it gets rid of that coldness when you first get into the bag. The nylon fabric is probably twice the denier (thickness) of retail bags and I'd still put it up against anything available in any store anywhere. Don't store it compressed.

I get it cleaned once a year for about 50 bucks. MEC sells some DIY down shampoo but it's tough to get all the soap out.

My synthetic (LiteLoft) mummy just goes in the (cold) washer and dryer (no heat).
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle