Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: westham island rod and gun club

Re: westham island rod and gun club

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    The dyke is all private and closed to non members

How can dykes be private, when they are built with public funds by local govenments? They would need some form of easment to be built on private property if not already built on public lands. Maybe I am missing something here.

It has always been my understanding that public lands from the water always extended to the mean high water mark, which would leave lots of property to hunt on although you may have to access it by boat or low tide or by dyke.
    THE FEW THE PROUD, SEMPER FI

I don't know the legallities of it but I DO know they are private as the signs state. Bob, I think you'll see a lot of interest fade in the next week or two and I agree, a big southeaster will change things in a hurry. All the mallards I've shot so far are skinny little ditch ducks. Maybe Murray can send a few down for us to play with, what ya say Murray? PS. Seen a bunch of snows and cacklers behind the old DeltaPort market this afternoon. K

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post

How can dykes be private, when they are built with public funds by local govenments? They would need some form of easment to be built on private property if not already built on public lands. Maybe I am missing something here.

It has always been my understanding that public lands from the water always extended to the mean high water mark, which would leave lots of property to hunt on although you may have to access it by boat or low tide or by dyke.
    Actually, if you go to the Municipal Hall and check out the land maps you will find that not only are the dykes on Westham private but that the private land extends well out beyond the dykes (not sure if by a set distance).
    Last edited by branthunter; 11-02-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Being a member of the Westham Island Rod and Gun Club does not give one permission to shoot waterfowl or upland birds on the Island itself.
    Yes, you can join the Westham Island Rod and Gun club and enjoy club activities .
    The Hunting Part on the Island is another matter, the Island is Closed to none Privileged few who must purchase a license and have it signed by Land Owners who may or may not support hunting.
    The Hobby Farm Indusrty ( Organic ) is working its way into the fold so to speak and putting pressure on the generations of past.
    Last edited by FLHTCUI; 11-02-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Correction of Statement

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I don't know the legallities of it but I DO know they are private as the signs state. Bob, I think you'll see a lot of interest fade in the next week or two and I agree, a big southeaster will change things in a hurry. All the mallards I've shot so far are skinny little ditch ducks. Maybe Murray can send a few down for us to play with, what ya say Murray? PS. Seen a bunch of snows and cacklers behind the old DeltaPort market this afternoon. K
    Hi Kelly,we nailed another 16 this morning!No Northerns yet,but good sized drakes,stuffed with corn.Once it freezes up here,I'll pop down and dust a few of your "ditch ducks"! Cheers,Gunner

would any of you guys be willing to take me with you on your next hunt? I still haven't figured out the waterfoul hunting thing and would love to go hunting once with someone who knows what they are doing.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

Who do you contact about membership?