Thread: Eberlestock j104, j107 differences?

Eberlestock j104, j107 differences?

Pretty much decided on one of the eberlestock just one packs because of the price, gun scabbard, expandability and word of mouth. On the site it says that if you want a stiffer pack with more adjustability go with the j107 over the j104. Having no place to try them or look at them in person I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the real world differences.

Right now I'm using a pack frame with stuff sacs and a daypack strapped to it. This is quite a bit lighter than this eberlestock pack, but I've decided the convienence of pockets is worth the extra weight.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Eberlestock j104, j107 differences?

Yup the J107 is way better for stability in packing loads and is the ideal pack if you plan on making long distance/time trips and packing out more than one load.
    The J104 is fine for hunting for a couple/few days and packing out a load, but isnt a pack I'd use to go back in for a second load.
    Its nice for a day pack in areas you need both hands (gun in the scabbard) but its overly big and heavy for a day pack otherwards.
    By the sounds fo things, go for the J104 and keep a pack frame in your truck.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 10-22-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Good choice ED! I just recently purchased the j107 and I can say that I am very happy with it and i don't have nay complaints. You're right, lots of pockets are nice. The pack is really comfortable, even when it's loaded up it's easy to carry. I decided to go with the j107 over the j104 because of both it's versatility and it's stiffness. With the j104 you'd be hard pressed to go in for a 10 day hunt but with the j107 you have nothing to worry about because of it's expansion/weight carrying ability. The j107 can do pretty much anything you need it to do where as the j104 you're limited. Also, the j107 collapses small enough that you don't have to worry about it being too cumbersome. I also like the idea of the spike camp duffel as well. Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by Yappy Yoodle Dog 02/04/08

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?

So you guys think the j107 is defintely worth the extra 100 bucks and the extra 1.7 pounds?
    I forgot to say my initial primary uses would be 3 to 5 day trips with the occasional week plus trip and I'd be trying to use it for day trips too cause my current day pack sucks and I can't afford to buy 2 packs right now.

I just got a J107 and I really like it. I also have a Badlands 2200 that I am also going to keep (spare/ local day pack). I might also pick up a pack frame. As mentioned by Blacktailstalker a frame is nice for hauling out big and awkward loads. I am really happy with the quality and versatility of the J107.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Good forum. I am also looking to change over from a pack frame exept I want a pack that can do a 7-10 day trip witht he gun scabbard. That would be the J107?

The 107 has an adjustable shoulder harness and hip belt. So you can lengthen the shoulder straps up and down to fit different body types. The 104 shoulder straps are basically just sewn on so if it does not fit you well you are SOL.

The 107 also has a stiff pastic sheet making it more rigid for heavier weights.

Here is a pic of the back of the 107. On the left of the pack in the center, between the shoulder straps, you can see a a black section thats segmented off. This is the velcro where the straps can move up and down for a better fit. The shiny horizontal strips above the hip belt are the aluminum supports and behide that is the rigid plastic sheet.

I took my 107 plus the super spike camp on my 10 day dall hunt and had no complaints.

Hope this helps you out.

BHB

The 107 has an adjustable shoulder harness and hip belt. So you can lengthen the shoulder straps up and down to fit different body types. The 104 shoulder straps are basically just sewn on so if it does not fit you well you are SOL.
    That sounds like it's worth the 100 bucks right there.