Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighter Broadheads vs Accuracy?

Re: Lighter Broadheads vs Accuracy?

I had a bit of a look see at those red dots but the price would likely put me off! I will try extended rings first on this little 22 scope. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

UPDATE:

So, after rewinding my serving with fishing line (becuase I'm too lazy and poor to order a new string just because the serving's worn out), I got down to some field testing on this topic. Here's my results using a 125 and 100 grain field point on identical Horton MX carbon arrows.

2 yards - no noticeable difference.

10 yards - about 2 inches higher with the 100 grain.

15 yards - about 4 inches higher with the 100 grain.

20 yards - about 7 inches high with the 100 grain.

25 yards - about 9 inches high with ther 100 grain.

So, 25 grains less definitely results in a MUCH flatter trajectory at close range. I didn't test any farther out than that - that's my self imposed hunting limit anyway.

Balancing the two arrows across an edge, the FOC looks to be moved rearward about a quarter an inch because of the lighter heads. This did not seem to affect accuracy in the slightest. That said however, the 100 grainer consistently pulled about 1 inch to the right compared to the 125, but as long as any differences are consistent, I don't consdier that accuracy affecting - I can just adjust the sight to compensate.

The better news in all this is, with the dial-a-range setting on the crossbow set to 0 (point blank range, in theory), and the 100 grain point, I can shoot out to 20 yards and be within 2 inches of the point of aim (about 2 high at 2 yards, and 1 low at 20 yards).

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

Anyway, just thought some of you might find my results useful. For reference, the bow is a Horton SteelForce 150lb.

If I get ambitious, I may grind down a field point to around 75-85 grains, and see if that improves things further, or just wonks up accuracy. But probably, I'm thinking I'll get what I'm after by just dropping back to a 100 grain head from a 125.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

More Update:

So, I took a 125 grain field point, a vise, and an angle grinder, and cut it down a bit. Ended up with a head that was 4 grams (60-something grains), which is lighter than I was going for (I was trying to get one around 5grams/80grains). However, I didn't want to cut up another one, and I thought it would be reasonable for testing purposes, so I gave it a whirl.

This one moves the balance point of the arrow to the rear just under 3/4 of an inch from the 125 grain point.

At closer ranges (20 yards or so), the accuracy seemed to be fine. No noticeable drift compared to an arrow with a 100 grain head on it.

However, at 30 yards, I did notice it drifting a bit (2 inches approx). Still not enough to botch a well aimed kill shot, but enough to be noteworthy.

The trajectory, again, improved dramaticly. It broght my effective range with the sights set on 0 (point blank) out to nearly 30 yards. Yeah!

So, in conclusion, I'm planning to do the following:

Switch from vanes to feathers (about 10 grains less at the rear of the arrow).

Switch from 125 grain 4 blade Muzzy's to 75 grain 3 blade Muzzy's. (I was originally thinking about going to a 90 grain 4 blade, but I think the 75 grain 3 blade will suit me better).

I'm assuming, that since even with a 60 grain head, the arrow accuracy wasn't affected too badly, that loosing 10 grains in the back and having an extra 15 in the front will tighten that up.

Anyway, no idea if anyone else will find this useful or not, but here it is, for whatever it's worth.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32