Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethical question?

Re: Ethical question?

I spend alot of time hunting the pitt and will admitt without a dog I loose a few birds, but never with out an effort to retrieve them and I generally count them towards my limit.
    Train hard....hunt easy

Re: Ethical question?

I just got back from my mooose hunt, interesting read.

How do you know they aren't out looking? The grass is deep, and you may not see anyone out there. We hunt 2 dogs and when I'm off looking for a winged bird, 'Ol Dan continues to shoot (why not?).
    Very few guys are good enough shots and disaplined enough to pick shots they know they can easily retrieve without a dog (Ian being one of the few). I tried hunting without a dog many years ago, it was a big mistake. I would say most guys shouldn't hunt the marsh without a dog. Birds are lost even if they land in the water as they can swim into the flooded grass even if shot at on the water. Without a dog, birds that fall in the grass are virtually impossible to find.
    Most of the skybusters figure they may as well try and see what happens. I've seen guys up near the dyke in the marsh shoot at high birds and unfortunately watch them occasionally sail one off (which only encourages them). They are too far away for me to see if they actually go after them (and I don't see a dog but they may have one). Most of our shots are under 35yds over decoys which is optimal for shot pattern and killing ability of steel shot. We don't wing tip many but some birds do drop out at long range and the dog has to be led out downwind of the fallen bird if there's any hope of recovering it (one fault of my dog is if she doesn't see it fall, she will only go out 60 or so yards if I can't see her to signal where I want her to go... my training).
    You can't always see what a guy is calling because there are mountains all around the Pitt and low flying birds can be hard to spot unless you are close by or the wings flash in the sun. There are a few guys who come out to the Pitt and call a lot (too much maybe?). They don't come out often, I'm situated well over from most guys so it doesn't affect me too much, if you find another hunter is affecting your hunt you may be better off moving to where the calling won't affect birds working your decoys. I call at birds I think will respond but not just in case something may be nearby.
    There were quite a few guys out opening day, lots of shots fired. Sunday there wasn't a lot of guys out there, I wasn't there this weekend but I hear it was foggy all morning.
    Be sure of your accusations, then either confront the people, leave a note on their vehicle, or bring it to the attention of the C/O. We could use the C/O's presence out there once in a while. I saw him the friday before the opener checking the fisherman on the slough by the golf course, nobody around opening weekend though.
    Dan
    Last edited by Dano; 10-19-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    Buddi doing what she does best!