Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Quartering a moose

Re: Quartering a moose

Thanks that helps a lot I'm trying that on my next. Thanks again
    "A bad day of hunting is better than your best day at work."

When I drop a big game animal I clean it out because I take the hart and liver as for cutting the meat out from between the ribs.

I don't leave much for the ravens as the pic showes.

Great thread on what you gotta know this coming season if you are taking a hunt on a moose leh or gos. Read it and remember it, I'm reading the whole darn thread again you too.
    Jel--great stuff on moosin.

A small chain saw is what I use on quartering up a moose.

You can also use a good sharp hand saw.

After cleaning out the moose I then get the head off and the lower legs.
    Then I cut along the bottom side hair line in the center from the front to the rear with you knife ,thats where the saw will be cutting.

I then cut from front to back using the chain saw or hand saw with the animal chest facing up 12oc.

I cut down till I get all the way through the animal ,just make sure you don't go into the hide hair will be everywhere.

Then once the animal cut from one end to the other using the chain saw or hand saw then use your knife to cut the hide to seperate it into two haves.

Next thing is go in from the back rear rib and cut the hide from the bottom to the top make sure you are cutting through the hide and meat so all will be cut as you are doing this.

Then you can use the chain saw or hand saw to cut through he back bone ,now you will have two quarters ,then go do the other half of the animal and do the same ,now you will have 4 quarters.

Word of advice when cutting down the back bone using a chain saw keep the saw in the middle of it and stand to one side or you will have hamburger all over you.

Before you use the chain saw empty all oil out of the oil tank then put in cooking oil ,then run the saw for about 60 sec to get rid of unwanted oil that is still on your chain blade and in your lines
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-25-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Cut the head off first hunter's? Then legs?
    Gotta cut the main vien to pump blood out so the head off blood can escape, is what I'm hearin.
    I try to shoot moose in heart area so blood pumps into chest cavity therefore getting blood out of the meat.
    Doe's this sound real good to do as above?
    It's what I try to do open chest cavity get the heat out!
    Jelness--moose on the ground--now as partner's we help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Cut the head off first hunter's? Then legs?
    Gotta cut the main vien to pump blood out so the head off blood can escape, is what I'm hearin.
    I try to shoot moose in heart area so blood pumps into chest cavity therefore getting blood out of the meat.
    Doe's this sound real good to do as above?
    It's what I try to do open chest cavity get the heat out!
    Jelness--moose on the ground--now as partner's we help.
    Gotta get my LEH first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

best way to clean the chain of oil is buck a couple old logs after adding the veggie oil. and make damn sure you clean the saw after, just don't chuck it in the garage until next season.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER