Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quartering a moose

The 'Hummer' Guest

Re: Quartering a moose

Quote Originally Posted by MOWITCH SLAYER View Post
    308.win has it right on! the no gut method is easier but it is realy hard to get your prime cuts of meat after it's been all hacked up. seen both done ,i'll spend the time and go the old way. besides you can't go home without the heart and liver not to mention the tender loin
    Definately, you HAVE to strip the tender loins out! That's a prime cut. As far as the heart and, liver, the liver especially, is in the same food group as cooked spinach. I've never been that hungry. I'll take a good look at it, flip it over and check it closely again and unless someone specifically wants or asks for it, I'll leave it on a stump 'for seed'.
    There's three parts to an animal. The hide, the meat and guts.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    I prefer to use a small axe or hatchet. The trick to hitting in the right spot is to lay the hatchet where you want it to split then hit it with another hatchet. Everyone packs a hatchet right. I find this to be much easier than a saw.
    I like this way too! No bone dust all over, and easy to do lying on the ground!!

Talking Re: Quartering a moose

I shot a bull moose once.....standing in a clearing all by itself. Gave it a 30-06 x 165 gr pill and felt the ground shake as it dropped. Then I walked over to it and dam near capped - like a Clydesdale horse it was. Took me hours to get it gutted and divided for transport. Never did that again all by myself! First time for everything eh?

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I shot a bull moose once.....standing in a clearing all by itself. Gave it a 30-06 x 165 gr pill and felt the ground shake as it dropped. Then I walked over to it and dam near capped - like a Clydesdale horse it was. Took me hours to get it gutted and divided for transport. Never did that again all by myself! First time for everything eh?
    You gotta' start somewhere. Welcome to the club.

308.win has it right on! the no gut method is easier but it is realy hard to get your prime cuts of meat after it's been all hacked up. seen both done ,i'll spend the time and go the old way. besides you can't go home without the heart and liver not to mention the tender loin
    Curious as to what prime cuts do you loose??? I have been doing this no-gut method for years and the butcher says that I loose very little in the way of good cuts, plus I do not pay for all that bone weight that just gets tossed. The meat gets boned out on the neck, backstrap and ribs, the meat stays on the leg bones to make it easier to pack out and hang. As for the tenderloin, it comes out very easy, just make a small incision between the hip and rib and take it out. To get the heart and liver, when done, just remove the ribs on one side by hatchet and voila, the heart and liver are ther for the taking.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Curious as to what prime cuts do you loose??? I have been doing this no-gut method for years and the butcher says that I loose very little in the way of good cuts, plus I do not pay for all that bone weight that just gets tossed. The meat gets boned out on the neck, backstrap and ribs, the meat stays on the leg bones to make it easier to pack out and hang. As for the tenderloin, it comes out very easy, just make a small incision between the hip and rib and take it out. To get the heart and liver, when done, just remove the ribs on one side by hatchet and voila, the heart and liver are ther for the taking.

Cheers

SS
    Agreed. I don't know what cuts he loses by doing this....

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I've never had trouble getting the tenderloin out using the no gut method, just reach in under the spine, grab and pull pretty much, takes very little knife work actually. In fact using a knife only increases your chances of puncturing the gut bag. I manipulate the loin with my fingers to seperate it from the spine and hip, comes out in one piece too!

I've just done a little investigating on this method. I have heard of this before but always went with the old school but I'm very interesting in trying this. If there are any good tips out there i would love to read them. What about the tenderloin how is this part of the process done. thanks
    "A bad day of hunting is better than your best day at work."

you don't lose any "cuts" with the no gut method, it's no different than doing it old school and getting it home and then butchering it yourself as most home butchers debone the animal rather than saw through bone making "T-bones", your best cuts are just boneless, the backstrap (best cuts) looks just like a big tenderloin waiting to be sliced into steaks, these are the same cuts in a store labelled "striploin" and "rib steaks". It's a great wat to leave weight and waste in the bush, once you do it you won't go back.
    Time waits for no one, Hunt Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Maverick View Post
    I've just done a little investigating on this method. I have heard of this before but always went with the old school but I'm very interesting in trying this. If there are any good tips out there i would love to read them. What about the tenderloin how is this part of the process done. thanks
    Maverick

Look at the links posted at the begining of the post, also Google "No Gut Method", lots of info.
    Here is another one
    http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html

Also do a search here as I and others have posted the way to do it on other posts.

As for the tenderloin, I make a small slit between the back rib and the hip and then do what jml11 does, just use your fingers to feel and pull away from the bone. After doing it a few times, it becomes very easy. I do it on all but the small deer. I practiced on everything I shot to figure out better ways, easy ways and cleaner ways. Now for me it is the only way to dress an animal. No mess, cleaner, faster and if you get a butcher to cut your meat, cheaper as you do not have to pay for all that bone weight.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!