Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quartering a moose

Re: Quartering a moose

Perefect guys. Helped alot, Ill post the pics of a freshly quartered moose in 9 days!

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    I prefer to use a small axe or hatchet. The trick to hitting in the right spot is to lay the hatchet where you want it to split then hit it with another hatchet. Everyone packs a hatchet right. I find this to be much easier than a saw.
    Never thought of it. Sounds like a good idea! I'll give it a try.

Some advice for you, cordless sawzal!!!! Shark-tooth blades! Trust me!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

I will be looking into the cordless sawzall for next hunting season. Doing a moose with a small pack saw sucks. A hatchet works though...just not as neat as a saw.

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    I prefer to use a small axe or hatchet. The trick to hitting in the right spot is to lay the hatchet where you want it to split then hit it with another hatchet. Everyone packs a hatchet right. I find this to be much easier than a saw.
    Learned this from my Dad and have been doing it for years. Works very well. Unlike a chainsaw/sawsall, a small hatchet is easy to carry and therefore with you when you need it.
    Last edited by krazy; 10-08-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Hi all
    I prefer to bring the quarters of moose or elk home whole whenever possible .A t-bone steak just ain't the same without the t-bone !
    Harvey

Just make sure that the rib you pick to section it does not line up with the loins in the back. You will nip the ends off if you are too far towards the ass end. It is common sense if you look inside the cavity, you will be able to see it.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

What I use to cut up my animal is a 20 inch shark hand saw ,you never have to worry about the batteries dieing on you.

Saws are great when they are Hanging, harder to use when they are on the ground.

308.win has it right on! the no gut method is easier but it is realy hard to get your prime cuts of meat after it's been all hacked up. seen both done ,i'll spend the time and go the old way. besides you can't go home without the heart and liver not to mention the tender loin