Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 hunters with only one hunting license ?

Re: 2 hunters with only one hunting license ?

Hmmmmm sort of a grey area ....
    Thanks for all the responses so far, you guys bring up some good points .

I know someone without a PAL can use a firearm under the direct supervision of someone that does have a PAL ... but the hunting part is what I am wondering about ?
    I could see the CO's point of view if one guy is packing a gun without a PAL or HL ... and appears to be hunting, even if he is with someone that is legal .
    Maybe if the gun he is carrying is in a case and he has no ammo for it in his posession .
    I basically just want some help so I dont have to carry 2 guns .

Hmmmm , maybe I will play it safe and just take one gun on our walks .

Thanks for the replys... keep em coming if anyone can add to it .

From the regs:
    Hunt and Hunting - includes shooting at,
    attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following
    after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying
    in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of
    those things, whether or not the wildlife is then
    or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
    (a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
    (b) while in possession of a firearm or other
    weapon.

Nothing gray about it. Doesn't say anything about the gun being loaded or not.

Hey man.

Sorry to say you and your buddy could be up shite creek in that situation - whether he's carrying on a hunt or not. He's got no carry permit and I think a CO would be mighty suspicious if someone was in a hunting area carrying a gun and saying they weren't hunting.

No permit = no carry

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
    From the regs:

Nothing gray about it. Doesn't say anything about the gun being loaded or not.[/left]
    Thanks Jeff, the regs says it all. Definitely black + white.

SGC, whatever you do, remember safety first!
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Well I guess that settles it ... no gun for buddy
    Thanks for clearing that up guys .

I will probably just end up road hunting chickens with the Rhino ... then I can pack both guns with me .
    If we do any hunting on foot it will just have to be one gun .

I cant wait to get out of town . I took Friday off so I will be blasting outta here Thursday night

No Turkey this Thanksgiving, just Grouse I hope

Still say SGC's buddy can help pack out a deer no matter how you read the definition of hunting in the regs.

How many people take their wife, girlfriend, son, daughter, aunt, uncle etc along for the ride while "hunting" without a license?
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Quote Originally Posted by Big7 View Post
    Still say SGC's buddy can help pack out a deer no matter how you read the definition of hunting in the regs.

How many people take their wife, girlfriend, son, daughter, aunt, uncle etc along for the ride while "hunting" without a license?
    In BC, the regs do not define helping pack out an animal as being hunting. So long as they meet the definition posted, they require a hunting license, otherwise, they are just along for the ride, or as a meat packer. An unlicensed friend can accompany you and help pack out game, provided they do not carry a gun or other weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberPig View Post
    In BC, the regs do not define helping pack out an animal as being hunting. So long as they meet the definition posted, they require a hunting license, otherwise, they are just along for the ride, or as a meat packer. An unlicensed friend can accompany you and help pack out game, provided they do not carry a gun or other weapon.
    I agree. Give the guy a video camera instead of a gun and have him help pack the deer out after the shot.

Maybe give your guy an airsoft gun and tell him it is also a very powerful weopon.

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is illegal, as dress/drag is part of hunting, and thus buddy is "hunting without a license". At least that's the gist of what I learned from CORE.
    If this were true, everyone would have to pack out their own animal otherwise by your definition all the "packers" would be hunting on someone else's license....and what about horse wranglers working for outfitters??? they all pack game regugarly and are not licensed guides and many do not not even have a huting license as they just don't hunt or come from different provinces\territories than where they are working.

You are ok to pack game for someone else, hunting license or not. The hunter who killed the animal should be there as well though or you may have troubles...