Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 hunters with only one hunting license ?

2 hunters with only one hunting license ?

I am just wondering what the rules are on taking someone hunting that doesn't have a lisence ?

I am going on a camping/hunting trip this weekend with a good friend if mine who doesn't have his P.A.L or a hunters # yet and he is really stoked to do some grouse hunting and maybe even help out with a deer if we happen on one that we want to shoot .

Now, I know I have to be the one pulling the trigger, but can he carry a gun if he is with me ?
    If we go for a walk looking for grouse, I would want to bring my shotgun and my .22 and use either one or both depending on the shot ... but I dont want to carry 2 guns myself .
    It would be nice if he could carry one ??? I would think he should be allowed to carry one if it's unloaded and he is with me ?? but I could be wrong and I dont need any troube with a CO my first season

Thanks for any insight

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 hunters with only one hunting license ?

ifs hes not hunting and doesnt have a license he shouldnt carry a gun
    youd just be asking for trouble

Sorry to burst your bubble, but buddy cannot touch a firearm, cannot touch any game (no helping you to drag/dress). Basically, he can't do jack. Observing is okay but you're still walking a fine line.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but buddy cannot touch a firearm, cannot touch any game (no helping you to drag/dress). Basically, he can't do jack. Observing is okay but you're still walking a fine line.
    Just because he doesn't have a PAL and/ or a hunting license doesn't mean he can't "touch" a firearm. He definately can't shoot any game, but I don't think there is any harm in showing him how to safely use a firearm and how to shoot it...target practice? Might be a good way to get him interested in hunting. As far as him packing a gun WHILE you are hunting - probably not a good idea..as stated before, asking for questions/trouble.

And as far as helping you pack out a deer ("drag/dress") there is nothing illegal about that - he never shot it, nor did he pack a firearm illegally with the purpose of shooting wild game. Extra muscle is always welcome! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a CO alive that would ever give your partner grief for "helping" you get your animal to the truck.
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    Not sure about touching/helping with game. (IANAL but I personally think that would be fine, as the definition of "hunting" in the regs is all about pursuing, stalking etc.)

However you're wrong about the firearms - it is perfectly legal to handle and use firearms for protection, target shooting or whatever, as long as you are under direct supervision of someone with a license. From the CFC web site:

You do not need a licence to use a borrowed firearm if you remain under the direct and immediate supervision of a properly licensed adult aged 18 or older.
    Shooting any wildlife would be a no-no of course.

As far as him carrying a gun while you are hunting, I would think that if he is with you while you are stalking game it would mean that he too is stalking game, which would mean he is technically hunting without a license. Can't see any problem with him helping you pack a deer out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big7 View Post
    And as far as helping you pack out a deer ("drag/dress") there is nothing illegal about that - he never shot it, nor did he pack a firearm illegally with the purpose of shooting wild game. Extra muscle is always welcome! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a CO alive that would ever give your partner grief for "helping" you get your animal to the truck.
    I'm pretty sure this is illegal, as dress/drag is part of hunting, and thus buddy is "hunting without a license". At least that's the gist of what I learned from CORE.

Quote Originally Posted by reach View Post
    However you're wrong about the firearms - it is perfectly legal to handle and use firearms for protection, target shooting or whatever, as long as you are under direct supervision of someone with a license. From the CFC web site:
    I stand corrected.

However, would you really want to have buddy shoot your gun (under supervision) for "target practice"? What if a CO comes over?

CO: "So, do you have a PAL?
    Buddy: "No."
    CO: "Hunting license?"
    Buddy: "No."
    CO: "So what are you doing out here shooting a gun, without a hunting license?"

Remember what SGC said in his post: he carries the loaded gun, and buddy carries an empty gun, while SGC is hunting, and if buddy is walking with him, that means he's hunting too. How can you claim to a CO you're "target shooting" when a guy is obviously out for road chickens with guns (one loaded and one not)?

Whether it be legal or not, this is something I would never have a friend of mine do. Apart from legal implications, there are safety issues as well, and without proper, licensed training, I personally feel it's not safe to handle a firearm whether it's "legal" in the bush or not. Save that for the range. I bring friends/family up to PoCo/Mission all the time and they have a blast, under a safe and controlled environment. No need to risk anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

I would think if he was carrying a gun and a CO came across you'd have a pretty hard time explaining to him why the guy without a licence is packing a firearm while your hunting.

As far as packing out game, I don't see any reason that the guy can't help out. you don't need a hunting licence to help pack out a dead animal

Go and look in the regs and the definition of hunting.

I've dealt with this on many occasions every year,

anyone can target practice with any gun with or without a PAL (Given there is someone there with the appropriate PAL for the firearms in use)

anyone can accompany you hunting regardless of licenses, and help you process the game and drag out, that being said they(non licensed) cannot carry a firearm under any circumstance while you are hunting just as they cannot shoot the game and put it on your license. They can simply tag along for the adventure and more importantly to film you getting your trophy lol