Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: CFO incident..

Re: CFO incident..

I should clarify, by "on the gun" I mean cartridges in loops on a butt cover, not in a mag that's still attached to the gun. Cartridges in loops are OK...cartridges in a mag attached to the gun are not.
    Your account has been banned permanently. Reason: Your account has been blocked due to comments that could be construed as hate speech. For more information, please visit: http://cbc.ca/submissions.

from the Firearms Act Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...nchorbo-ga:s_1

"unloaded" , in respect of a firearm, means that any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm. ( non chargée )

Meaning that even a velcroed mag on the stock is in violation as is a filled tube on a lever action

Quote Originally Posted by ultramafic View Post
    If you have a copy of the ticket ( which you should ) you can find the officer's name in the form of his signature which may or may not be totally legible near the bottom of the ticket. Also included will be his personal identification number whether badge number ( for those who demand ) or whatever his agency uses to personally identify their officers. Its all part of the legal "fine print" that must go on the ticket or it will not be valid.

As far as your own admission about the magazine attached to the rifle ( in the truck ) you know the answer to that one and you should know better.

Mike
    Mike sounds like you are reading it off a ticket you got. have you been misbehaving too? Just kidding. There should be a tongue in cheek smily. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Big Glenny View Post
    Mike sounds like you are reading it off a ticket you got. have you been misbehaving too? Just kidding. There should be a tongue in cheek smily. LOL

Not misbehaving but I have in the somewhat distant past had a couple of speeding tickets and I believe that the blue tickets used are the same for speeding tickets as they are for wildlife act violations and as such should contain the same basic information with only the charge portion being different.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by ramkitty View Post
    from the Firearms Act Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...nchorbo-ga:s_1

"unloaded" , in respect of a firearm, means that any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm. ( non chargée )

Meaning that even a velcroed mag on the stock is in violation as is a filled tube on a lever action
    But a Muzzle-loader can be loaded with powder, projectile...and not be deemed loaded, unless the cap or flint is married-up?
    These propellents and projectiles, which can be discharged from the firearm are certainly in the breech or firing chamber...Jeesh. Fricken nightmare of suitable proportions!

...Ooops. Guess the definitions of "loaded" differ between the Firearms act, Environment and Criminal code....Hmmm. Does anybody get the feeling these laws were generated by different folks, with different ideas, different agenda's...all without a modicum of experience or without even the benifit of consulting with each other?...

Best bet is nothing even remotely resembling "loaded"...funny how that's the safest thing to do as well huh?

Probably a "due-dilligence" thing and reasonable act of a responsible firearms owner anyway.
    If it feels like your doing something wrong...chances are, you are. YMMV.
    If you see it, you can hit it!

garsher

To answer your question I would say pay the fine. If there were bullets in the mag and it is attached in any way shape or form to the rifle it is considered a loaded firearm. However if your buddy had removed the mag from the floorplate it would have been considered an unload gun.
    Last edited by kgs; 11-16-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

" A long range shot should never be taken if the range is so great that a hold on the top the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity." Author Jack O'Conner

Quote Originally Posted by garsher View Post
    Hey guys, we just came back from a weekened of hunting in Princeton BC. During our trip we had a little encounter with a conservation officer.
    "Oh, im a CFO, just checking to see if your guns loaded", he then gave us a ticket. The mag was hanging off the floorplate which was swung open. He had no name tag, and no way of telling he was a Conservation officer. Is what he did right? Or should I fight it and not have to pay the fine.
    Hey Garsher.
    The name of the C.O in Princeton is Al Lay. He is about the most reasonable Man I've met, and if he gave you the ticket, you can count on it that it'll stick. Well thought of in town and will generally give a guy a break at times.
    Pay the ticket.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Thats sad that an encore single shot with a stock sleeve full of bullets is OK but a gun with an extra clip taped to it is "bad".

Hey why don't we all preach about it some more ( taking shots at each other as we go ) and maybe somebody will listen and make the rules so brutal that it will be hard to hunt from your vehicle with your kids or older friends with any hope of success Say like no bullets allowed in the vehicle!!!??? Only the trunk or truck box. Seems like a good idea to me....surely if it saves one life.........

Reading through this thread again made me think.........if this guy had hopped on here looking for some friendly compassion for getting a speeding ticket would he have gotten as much grief??? I doubt it, and speeding is a lot more dangerous than having a clip "hanging" from a gun while eating lunch. People seem to really get ethics and laws confused or entangled. The law here says BAD but the ethics or even common sense may differ from person to person. I assume that this site would like new people to be interested in it and hunting. Maybe, in light of this, it would be more appropriate to answer like " hey that sucks that you got busted for more or less a technicality but the actual law as pasted from the legislation is.........Blah". We recognise that there really was not safety concerns as you have described it but you got caught breaking the law as it is stated and learned your lesson the hard way. And maybe even.......GASP......I also had a similar run-in like BLAH and this is what happenned. Not that many people on here would ever get a ticket for something